Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PHOTOS deleted

hey I just got a new Mac book pro and I Hooke my iPhone 11 up to it. and it synched my Photos from my phone to my new Mac book with out asking me to. it was a lot of photos like about over a thousand pic and videos. I deleted the photos and video from my Mac book yesterday and to day I look in my phone and my photos have been deleted this is crazy and I want all my photos back what can I do. I don't understand how my phone photos deleted and my phone wasn't even hooked up to my Mac at the time I deleted pics from Mac book

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 9:38 PM

Sounds like you enabled iCloud Photos on both your iPhone and your MacBook Pro. iCloud Photos does a full synchronization with all devices connected to it (and sharing an Apple ID). That would have happened over the network even without the physical connection.

The goal of iCloud Photos is to have the all the devices that are linked to it contain the same photos. Initially, it would upload photos not yet in the cloud from each device to the cloud, then it would download any photos in the cloud but not on the device to that device, merging the device libraries into one cloud library that is also on each device. After that, new additions would be added to all devices, edits would be copied to all devices, and deletions would propagate to all devices.

That last part in italics is what bit you.

The normal way to recover the deleted photos would be to go into the album named "Recently Deleted" (under "Other Albums" in the Albums view on your phone), select the ones you want back, and use the Recover function to return them to the other views. Photos and videos will stay in Recently Deleted for thirty days (or until you manually removed them) to allow for this.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2020 9:38 PM in response to Ryze-O

Sounds like you enabled iCloud Photos on both your iPhone and your MacBook Pro. iCloud Photos does a full synchronization with all devices connected to it (and sharing an Apple ID). That would have happened over the network even without the physical connection.

The goal of iCloud Photos is to have the all the devices that are linked to it contain the same photos. Initially, it would upload photos not yet in the cloud from each device to the cloud, then it would download any photos in the cloud but not on the device to that device, merging the device libraries into one cloud library that is also on each device. After that, new additions would be added to all devices, edits would be copied to all devices, and deletions would propagate to all devices.

That last part in italics is what bit you.

The normal way to recover the deleted photos would be to go into the album named "Recently Deleted" (under "Other Albums" in the Albums view on your phone), select the ones you want back, and use the Recover function to return them to the other views. Photos and videos will stay in Recently Deleted for thirty days (or until you manually removed them) to allow for this.

PHOTOS deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.