Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Catalina 10.15.4 won't be installed on my Mac.

I think it took several hours to down load it but it takes several seconds to install it on my Mac.

Whenever Apple logo and progress bar are shown, it just take several seconds for the progress bar to complete. After finishing progress bar, my Mac reboots and shows windows which tell me there are an available update macOS Catalina 10.15.4.

I have no idea why it won't be installed on my Mac.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 8:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 5:54 AM

Verify what macOS you currently have installed

>About this mac

If you are running the 10.15.3 and need to update to the 10.15.4 you can download directly the

Combo update macOS 10.15.4 https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2037?locale=en_US

If you still have an issue installing this combo, reboot into SafeBoot Mode— then launch the combo installer from this environment.

SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login to proceed.

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2020 5:54 AM in response to jeunghun

Verify what macOS you currently have installed

>About this mac

If you are running the 10.15.3 and need to update to the 10.15.4 you can download directly the

Combo update macOS 10.15.4 https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2037?locale=en_US

If you still have an issue installing this combo, reboot into SafeBoot Mode— then launch the combo installer from this environment.

SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login to proceed.

May 28, 2020 9:45 PM in response to php4u

Can you try to sign in as a root user, https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204012, and in the safe mode, then try downloading the combo update again, and installing it again, it didnt work for me, even with system integrity protection off, even the "csrutil disable" command in command+r terminal didnt work, might work for you tho?

May 28, 2020 5:54 PM in response to jeunghun

On my 2017 iMac with a 1TB WD Black NVMe M.2 and 2 TB SSD, which has ran like a top, I hit a brick wall on the 10.15.15 update. The install seems to stall (see attachment) for hours. I am going to boot from my clone, and try to download and install the combo update. If necessary I will try the “safe” boot mode if necessary. Very frustrating.

Apr 11, 2020 1:00 AM in response to jeunghun

Same problem here, i am still on MacOS Catalina 1.15.1, its a macbook air late 2018, just over a year old, 40 gbs available out of the 128, when i restart it thorough the update windows, i am back to 1.15.1, it just brings me back to the 'update is available screen', any workarounds for this, also where are the update files stored? The update ate up 5 gbs on my ssd, sad. And even if i update through the combo update, where and how can i remove the previous update files :C, I have tried installing it like 15 times now, tried reseting the PRAM, tried booting up in safe mode etc

Apr 26, 2020 4:28 PM in response to jeunghun

I tried upgrading to MacOS 10.15.4 on my MacBook Air (2018). The installation stalled and now I’m unable to boot machine. I’ve tried the safe mode and holding down the control/option and shift before holding down the start button. System will not boot up - very frustrating. I called Apple care and they recommend I FedEx computer to be fixed.

Any thoughts on how to get the system to turn on without sendOmg machine to Apple care?

How does a upgrade cause the machine to stop working entirely?

Thanks in advanced for your thoughts.

Andrew

Apr 26, 2020 7:39 PM in response to Andrew Dubin1

Don't send it, shipping might get it destroyed. While booting press command + r, if you have a backup, skip this step, go into the disk utility, plug in an external HD, take a backup. Format the disk, APFS format, not mac os jornaled. Close the disk utility, don't restart you mac here or you will have to install high Sierra. Click on reinstall mac os, ensure your Internet is connected, follow on screen steps, select your HD, and reboot back into mac os.

By the way I am installing the combo update instead of the system one, becuz mine dosent want to install, idk why. I have 50 gbs free on my ssd

macOS Catalina 10.15.4 won't be installed on my Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.