Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WhatsApp not backing up

WhatsApp back up is stuck at 0%.

I have removed the old backup from iCloud and have removed an old phone from iCloud back up to increase iCloud storage.

I have backup phone and WhatsApp still won’t backup. The WhatsApp shows chat backup at 0%.

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 2:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 6:52 AM

Hi there, ceri193.

I see that you're unable to backup your WhatsApp chats to iCloud. You've removed some backups to make space available in iCloud, but the backup you're making only shows that it's buffering. I'm glad to help with this.

Why can't I back up my chat history to WeChat's server or a cloud service? -- Check which version of WeChat you're using. There seems to have been a change:

"Cloud backup feature is no longer available from WeChat 6.2.5 . However, your chat history will be kept permanently within the app on your device as long as the app is not removed and the phone has sufficient storage space. Or, you can back up your chat history to WeChat for Windows."

Take care.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2020 6:52 AM in response to ceri193

Hi there, ceri193.

I see that you're unable to backup your WhatsApp chats to iCloud. You've removed some backups to make space available in iCloud, but the backup you're making only shows that it's buffering. I'm glad to help with this.

Why can't I back up my chat history to WeChat's server or a cloud service? -- Check which version of WeChat you're using. There seems to have been a change:

"Cloud backup feature is no longer available from WeChat 6.2.5 . However, your chat history will be kept permanently within the app on your device as long as the app is not removed and the phone has sufficient storage space. Or, you can back up your chat history to WeChat for Windows."

Take care.

May 7, 2020 11:53 AM in response to ceri193

I've been dealing with the same issue and have just managed to fix it after dealing with both Apple and WhatsApp support.

So, combining the info from both groups, Apple and WhatsApp, here are the steps that you should take. Hopefully you won’t have to do them all and it will work after step 1:

1.     Check that you have enough iCloud storage space. Apparently, you need 2.05 times the amount of iCloud storage space than the size of your backup so in your case you would need almost 4.8GB of free iCloud space (2.33GB x 2.05 = 4.78GB). You have 5.1GB free so this may not be the problem although it may be worth upgrading and then trying a new backup or leaving it to see if your backup finishes.

2.     Sign out of iCloud on your iPhone, turn the iPhone off and back on, sign back into iCloud and try another backup.

3.     If still not successful, reset network settings, then go into iCloud settings and then turn off iCloud Drive, then go to Manage Storage and delete your WhatsApp backup (if you’re using iCloud Backup you’ll need to delete the WhatsApp data there also). If when you delete the data your iCloud usage does not change (i.e. go down) you will need to contact Apple support and get them to do a rebuild of your iCloud storage. Once this is done you will most likely have to repeat the deleting of your WhatsApp backup data. Make sure WhatsApp is closed and then repeat step 2 above.

This should resolve the issues you are having with your WhatsApp backup. Hope it helps!

WhatsApp not backing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.