Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Log out is not working like it did

macOS 10.15.4 (19E266)

I can not log out completely(?); log out does send me back to the login screen, but clicking on the various icons does nothing. I can use shift arrow keys to select my account and log back in. I can shutdown by holding down the iMac power button.

If I select the restart or shutdown options from the Apple drop down menu, they will work as expected.

I have a second user account (admin) that works fine when I log out. So this seems to be related to my "main" user account.

I tried going into the Recovery mode and reinstalling the system software, and that did not help; however; things do work as expected when I boot in safe mode.

I would appreciate any help with this.

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 5:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 1:25 PM

Since it works OK from Safe Mode means that there is some 3rd party software that's interfering with the process.

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the app's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

ALSO IMPORTANT:

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine the root of the problem.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2020 1:25 PM in response to danuke

Since it works OK from Safe Mode means that there is some 3rd party software that's interfering with the process.

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the app's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

ALSO IMPORTANT:

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine the root of the problem.

Apr 1, 2020 6:14 PM in response to John Galt

It sure did!

dankuke:

You've install want most of us here consider akin to malware: CleanMyMac X. Do a good Google search for "uninstall CleanMyMac X on Mac" to get the developer's recommended uninstall procedures.  However, do not download and run any "cleaning" apps that may be used on the site.  Always opt for the built in uninstaller or do it manually. 

You can check to see if you've removed all of the files by downloading and running Find Any File to search for any files with the application or developer's name in the file name.  For example for CleanMyMac X software you'd do the following search: 

1 - Name contains cleanmymac

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.

Mar 31, 2020 6:15 PM in response to danuke

Hello danuke,

I see that you're having an issue when trying to logout on your iMac. I'd be happy to look into this with you.

You have already done a ton of great troubleshooting steps to isolate this issue to the main user account. Since you know that it is in the main user account, let's check the login items in your System Preferences. Once you're in the System Preferences turn anything that is in there off and restart. Then turn them back on one at a time to try to identify what is causing the issue. The article below provides additional information and the path to get to the login items in System Preferences.

Open items automatically when you log in on Mac

Let me know how this goes.

Have a great day!

Apr 4, 2020 7:19 AM in response to danuke

I don't know if I need to start another line or not.

There still appears to be an issue with my System Preferences. I can change the other settings, however, if you look at the image the + and - buttons are dim and nothing works when I click on the check boxes. If a software "requests" access, it does get added.

Apr 1, 2020 5:52 AM in response to sterling r

Thank you for your reply.

I completely deleted the items and restarted. Alas, the log out concern remains.

Also, and I had noticed this a couple of weeks ago, but did not do anything, under the Security & Privacy settings > Privacy > Files and Folders, I am unable to add nor delete (clicking on an application name does not highlight it) or even uncheck items under the application name.

Apr 2, 2020 5:41 AM in response to Old Toad

Ah thank you folks!!

Ok,

You know, I took my Mac in to Apple Store, and they said something about it.

My attempt at removing software is normally using the locate and remove commands from the terminal.

So I will remove it and then what should I expect to have happen or need to do after that, and should I go ahead and pop the 15 bucks for the full version of Etrecheck?

Also the App Cleaner.app was recommended on the X-planes forum do y'all know anything about it; yes, no, love it, hate it?

Apr 4, 2020 7:14 AM in response to Old Toad

I was not very methodical, more of a shotgun approach next.

First I deleted all the ~/Library/Cache files, then I saw that the Library was missing the Preferences directory, so I went into Recovery mode and reinstalled the macOS. The Preferences directory was back. I went through it and deleted all non-apple files, and I did see that there was a MacPaw preference still there (Cleanmymac malware again?).

Restarted the iMac and Log Out appears to be working as expected.

Log out is not working like it did

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.