Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System preferences notification red badge annoying

I've update my MacBook Pro to macOS Catalina 10.15.4.

System Preferences -> Software Update says that my Mac is up to date and no updates found, but red badge with number "1" is on System Preferences icon on a Dock.

This is annoying! How to get rid of it!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 4:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 4:52 AM

To suppress the red badge icon on the Dock, is one more Terminal command, copy and paste:

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0 && killall Dock

31 replies

May 16, 2020 10:48 AM in response to DarkWere

Log into another user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and see if the problem persists (this tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide). Then…

Boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

Mar 30, 2020 5:37 AM in response to DarkWere

DarkWere wrote:

If you can't fix the problem, just ignore it.
This is a wonderful solution!

FWIW, this is a users forum not an Apple forum. However, I've only seen a report of the "red badge" remaining twice. I have 5 Macs running Catalina 10.15.4 now and none have the problem. It seems to be a problem only a few "suffer" from and is local to their machines.

Since it's so rare an occurrence there's no known "solution" at this time.

Apr 9, 2020 8:32 AM in response to Santang44

There have been two users that said it didn't work for them including yourself. Make sure you are deleting the correct file.

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate.plist

In the Finder, press "command shift G", copy then paste the path into the window that opens and click "Return". It will highlight the file. Move it to the Trash then Restart your Mac.

If that doesn't work I don't know why.

System preferences notification red badge annoying

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.