Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone random popping noise

My iphone is making a random pop noise but shows no notification. Like a single bubble popping. We have turned off sound notifications on all apps that have nonspecific sounds. Deleted apps that are not in use. Closed all tabs in browser and cleared history. And updated all apps and software. If the phone is silenced you do not hear the pop. I have a video with audio of the pop sound if theres a way to submit that. Please help. This is causing a drain on my battery.

iPhone 8, iOS 11

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 7:54 PM

23 replies

Apr 2, 2020 6:11 AM in response to leeannmch

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities leeannmch,

I see that you're hearing a popping sound on your iPhone as if you're receiving a notification. I can certainly understand your concern, and I'd be happy to look into this with you.

You've already done some great troubleshooting steps so far. Let's have you check a couple other things. First, you can check a couple other things in your settings. Go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Sounds And Vibration Patterns, and see what you have selected there. You might even want to try selecting another sound and see if you still hear the popping sound.

Also, let's also have you restart your iPhone and then see if the issue remains.

Restart your iPhone

If the issue remains, respond back with the answers to the following questions.

1. Have you recently added a new app or apps?
  2. If you check the Notification Center are you seeing any notifications there?
  3. Which iPhone are you currently using?

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Apr 12, 2020 9:00 AM in response to Will-B

The pop corresponds to a new message in Messenger each time on my IPhone 8 Plus

BUT Messenger is NOT running (I carefully swipe up apps I’m not using) AND all notifications are turned off from within the IPhone settings.

This is Messenger version 258.0.0.38.114

This is really annoying and it brings up real security concerns. How can we trust the OS’s system settings now?

Please act accordingly.

Apr 10, 2020 1:52 PM in response to OrlyLV

Whoa, I think you’re on to something. The “pop” sound is identical to the sound you hear when you get a new Messenger message while the app is open. I’m submitting a bug report to Facebook, though it’s bizarre that this happens even on Do Not Disturb, and even when there are no new messages. Thanks for the tip.

May 4, 2020 6:15 AM in response to Joseph_S.

I have an iphone xs. A couple of months ago I contacted Apple Support because I could not stop the bubble/popping noise from my phone, particularly if it occurred during the night. I spoke with a support person who walked me through some changes including resetting my phone. Since then maybe once or twice I have heard the same but it has stopped . Now this morning it is happening again. I would rather not have to continuously have to reset my phone to factory settings so I am hoping there is something else that can be done about this problem. Thank you.

Iphone random popping noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.