Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect to 5GHz WiFi Networks

Tried this with an iPhone XS Max and iPad Pro 12.9 (4th Gen).

Both running iOS 13.4 and iPad OS 13.4, respectively.

Steps taken:

Rebooted both devices.

Reset wireless on both devices.

Tried sharing password from iPad Pro (3rd Gen) which is connected to the 5GHz WiFi network

Tried connecting on both an Apple Airport Extreme 5GHz wireless net & a Netgear C7000 5GHz net

I can connect w/o problem to any 2.4GHz wireless network.

I cannot connect to any 5GHz wireless network.

When I enter the network password, press join, the screen bounces and does nothing.

• if I enter a known incorrect password I do NOT get an error message. I should, but I don't.
  • when connected to 2.4 I can see, on the router, the device is connected

Has anyone experienced this before and have an idea how to fix? I had this happen once before, but was able to solve using password sharing between an iPhone and iPad. That has not worked in this case.

Thanks!

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 4:17 AM

Time.

Checked both devices this morning and they are both CONNECTED to one of my 5Ghz networks (Netgear). Never asked me to switch. Never asked me again for the wireless password. Have a case open with Apple so I had been sending video of the behavior on screen. Maybe it's just a bug in iOS and iPad OS UI. Being in IT, not a fan of 'FM' fix actions.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2020 4:17 AM in response to David Stempnakowski

Time.

Checked both devices this morning and they are both CONNECTED to one of my 5Ghz networks (Netgear). Never asked me to switch. Never asked me again for the wireless password. Have a case open with Apple so I had been sending video of the behavior on screen. Maybe it's just a bug in iOS and iPad OS UI. Being in IT, not a fan of 'FM' fix actions.

Apr 1, 2020 12:06 PM in response to David Stempnakowski

What router are you using?

I would try setting the 5ghz to a low channel, e.g. 38 and then a high channel e.g. 161

We have occasionally seen issues with channels set to auto where the device is running a DFS channel. (Just google to find out what these are.. ) I would also make sure the wireless name is very short, pure alphanumeric with no spaces. <8 characters with password same rules and 8-20 characters.

Apr 1, 2020 12:49 PM in response to David Stempnakowski

The airport extreme will usually work very well with the iPhone or iPad.

Get up close and personal the airport to ensure the signal is very high.

Are you using typical Apple names?

Apple tends to fill it in for you.. something like David's Apple Airport Extreme.

I really do recommend the name change. e.g. AE works fine.

I also find that you end up with too many wireless networks saved in the phone or iPad if you carry it around and work in different locations. So clear out all the existing wireless names.. and actually power off the phone / pad. Restart it and then rediscover the wireless.

Cannot connect to 5GHz WiFi Networks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.