Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Sound During Movie Playback on Apple TV HD

I have now found the answer to this problem but wanted to let others know in the community incase you have the same issue after updating your tvOS. I recently updated my tvOS version to 13.4. When playing movies after the update I could hear no sound. However the strange thing was i could hear sound for other things such as navigating the menu, watching previews/ trailers of movies but nothing when watching the films.

i did search on the web for a solution but could not find anything. I reset my unit but nothing. I then started playing around with my tv settings and still nothing. In the end I looked at settings on the Apple TV and found the solution. For some reason in the update a setting was changed in the Video and Audio options in the settings menu.

to fix:

1)Open VIDEO AND AUDIO option in the settings app.

2)Scroll down until you see AUDIO FORMAT and select it.

3)There will be an option to Change Format which should be set to OFF by default. Change to ON.

4)Another option will now appear below it called NEW FORMAT. It will show Dolby Digital 5.1 as default, change this to STEREO.

retry your movie and it should hopefully play with sound.

This will work if your device is connected to your tv and not to a 5.1 system, I would imagine it will be the reverse if that’s the case. Hope this helps.

Apple TV HD, tvOS 13

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 5:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 3:39 PM

Hello,

Try using a different HDMI lead or different HDMI port.

Similar questions

3 replies

No Sound During Movie Playback on Apple TV HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.