Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to move iTunes Library to iCloud

Hi

I still use iTunes rather than Apple Music as I regularly need to use the audio files to either edit them, transfer them to USB, connect to Rekordbox, etc. I also have a lot of music that I have ripped from vinyl or bought elsewhere that is not available on Apple Music.

My library takes up half my Macbook Pro's hard drive. Is there an easy way to have this music stored in the cloud but all still visible in iTunes? A bunch of my older music is stored in this way. I think it may be stuff from before I owned this laptop. If I delete a track rather than remaining visible with a download button is vanishes.

Can anyone help? Hopefully its super simple.

Thanks

Will

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 2:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 8:29 AM

iTunes can show any unhidden past purchases that aren't stored locally on your computer with a cloud link that allows them to be streamed or downloaded. A subscription to iTunes Match extends this to matched or uploaded music in your library. Apple Music goes further allowing you to add content from the iTunes Music catalog to your iCloud Music Library. Once content is matched or uploaded you can select particular albums or tracks, right-click, and remove download to free up local storage. If you decide to go down this route make a complete backup of your library on external storage before you start to avoid issues with mismatches or loss of access to media if/when you choose to terminate your subscription.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2020 8:29 AM in response to will macc

iTunes can show any unhidden past purchases that aren't stored locally on your computer with a cloud link that allows them to be streamed or downloaded. A subscription to iTunes Match extends this to matched or uploaded music in your library. Apple Music goes further allowing you to add content from the iTunes Music catalog to your iCloud Music Library. Once content is matched or uploaded you can select particular albums or tracks, right-click, and remove download to free up local storage. If you decide to go down this route make a complete backup of your library on external storage before you start to avoid issues with mismatches or loss of access to media if/when you choose to terminate your subscription.

tt2

Apr 13, 2020 7:52 AM in response to will macc

If your library knows the size of the file removing the local download won't change that. Stream would normally show for Internet Streams. If it shows for local or network tracks that is usually a sign that something has gone wrong at some point. Get Info > File tab > Location will show iCloud for content that is stored in the cloud rather than locally.

tt2

How to move iTunes Library to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.