Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 16" Random Scratching Noise from the Speakers

I bought a new MacBook Pro 16" a few days ago that is running MacOS Catalina 10.15.4.

A strange sound comes from the speakers every 2-3 minutes.

This is not like the "popping" sound frequently mentioned on the Internet.

It also happens when the music is not playing or the device is on standby.

When I decrease the volume it also decreases and when I mute it disappears completely.

Here is a 2-second recording of the noise:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QhQnMmLTe3R3ewhMMJLMYUG3Y5jbP2Da

I don't know if it is a software or hardware issue. I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problem.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16", 10.15

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 7:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 9:30 AM

It is solved! Microsoft Outlook mail client was causing the issue. I don't know why but I discovered it by chance after a restart. I could also reproduce the issue by quitting the mailing app and re-logging in a few times. Phew! It seemed so random and hardware related. Fortunately, it wasn't :)

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2020 9:30 AM in response to smtnkc

It is solved! Microsoft Outlook mail client was causing the issue. I don't know why but I discovered it by chance after a restart. I could also reproduce the issue by quitting the mailing app and re-logging in a few times. Phew! It seemed so random and hardware related. Fortunately, it wasn't :)

MacBook Pro 16" Random Scratching Noise from the Speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.