Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 16-inch (2019) getting very hot

Just purchased a MacBook Pro 16 this January and have been having unresolved heat issues ever since my purchase. Diagnostics shows nothing, resetting SMC fan control didn't work, reinstalling OS and doing a full factory reset hasn't worked.

The most frustrating thing is that my CPU load is low (between 4-8%) when the issue begins to happen (obviously it isn't any better at higher CPU load either, Ableton and Rekordbox can get the temp around 90+C at less than 10% CPU load). Even watching Youtube or being in a Zoom meeting will make it get hot very quickly. Anyone else have this issue or was able to get it resolved?

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 2:21 PM

Playing, recording, streaming, and creating video or audio will stress either the CPU, GPU, or both. That translates into a lot of heat to be dissipated in the very small space inside your model.

Using Activity Monitor

Use Activity Monitor on your Mac

Runaway applications can shorten battery runtime, affect performance, and increase heat and fan activity.

Using Activity Monitor Part 1- CPU and Memory

Using Activity Monitor Part 2- Energy, Disk, and Network

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2020 2:21 PM in response to NakedApe90

Playing, recording, streaming, and creating video or audio will stress either the CPU, GPU, or both. That translates into a lot of heat to be dissipated in the very small space inside your model.

Using Activity Monitor

Use Activity Monitor on your Mac

Runaway applications can shorten battery runtime, affect performance, and increase heat and fan activity.

Using Activity Monitor Part 1- CPU and Memory

Using Activity Monitor Part 2- Energy, Disk, and Network

Apr 20, 2020 4:50 PM in response to Spinnn

I just purchased a 16" MacBook Pro and had it attached to my Apple Display. Wow did it get hot just above the Touch Bar. Because it was within my two weeks window I exchanged it for a new machine with Apple. Same thing is happening but after reading this post I disconnected my Apple Display and the heat has gone down considerably. I am glad this is the issue but I do need a larger monitor for work purposes.

Apr 23, 2020 6:36 PM in response to Paul Leblond1

Well, guys, reading all your replies, I'm another user affected by this, I work in Video and Graphics editing, imagine trying to work my 2k footage on Final Cut Pro without a fluid timeline...this is driving me crazy I need to work with at least two external screens and this wasn't happening with my previous Mac, hopefully one of these days we'll have an update or something... I'll keep checking this thread in case someone finds a workaround 😎

Thanks guys!!

Macbook Pro 16-inch (2019) getting very hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.