Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Edit keynote recording

Hello

I am a complete novice but have managed to produce and record a 40 minute slideshow on Keynote. I now find that I need to replace one of the images within a slide but can't find a way of doing so without having to re-record the whole presentation, which has my voice over the slides.

Any ideas....not expecting good news!

Richard

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 5:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 5:10 PM

Keynote is unable to edit a recorded slideshow properly,  if you change the slides in any way after creating a recorded slideshow,  the slide timings and the slide order become corrupt.

My work around, to preserve the voiceover recording, is to extract the voiceover sound file, make changes to slides, make a new recording for  slide timing, then replace the voice over file in  Keynote. This takes less than a minute to complete, so its quicker than re-recording.

1. with keynote closed, back up the Keynote file (right click >Duplicate)
  2. open the Keynote file, go to:   File > Advanced > Change Filetype and select:  Package
  3. save then close Keynote
  4. right click the Keynote file then select show package contents, open the Data folder and copy the movie recording file (right click > copy) then paste on to the desktop 
  5. double click the movie file to open in QuickTime player:    File > Export sound only then save to desktop
  6. in Keynote, go to File > Play > Clear  Recording
  7. add, delete or make changes to the slides
  8. Save
  9. go to Inspector > Document > Audio and drag the exported sound file from the desktop on to the Soundtrack well
  10. Save
  11. make a new "record > slideshow " to add the new timing for slide transitions, the voiceover will not be re-record, so turn the mic volume slider down to zero in: Apple Menu > System preferences > Sound > Input
  12. do not click on the microphone icon to mute in the recording window
  13. Save 

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2020 5:10 PM in response to richardoore44

Keynote is unable to edit a recorded slideshow properly,  if you change the slides in any way after creating a recorded slideshow,  the slide timings and the slide order become corrupt.

My work around, to preserve the voiceover recording, is to extract the voiceover sound file, make changes to slides, make a new recording for  slide timing, then replace the voice over file in  Keynote. This takes less than a minute to complete, so its quicker than re-recording.

1. with keynote closed, back up the Keynote file (right click >Duplicate)
  2. open the Keynote file, go to:   File > Advanced > Change Filetype and select:  Package
  3. save then close Keynote
  4. right click the Keynote file then select show package contents, open the Data folder and copy the movie recording file (right click > copy) then paste on to the desktop 
  5. double click the movie file to open in QuickTime player:    File > Export sound only then save to desktop
  6. in Keynote, go to File > Play > Clear  Recording
  7. add, delete or make changes to the slides
  8. Save
  9. go to Inspector > Document > Audio and drag the exported sound file from the desktop on to the Soundtrack well
  10. Save
  11. make a new "record > slideshow " to add the new timing for slide transitions, the voiceover will not be re-record, so turn the mic volume slider down to zero in: Apple Menu > System preferences > Sound > Input
  12. do not click on the microphone icon to mute in the recording window
  13. Save 

Edit keynote recording

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.