Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hidden File Copy of Everything I Move Into a Folder - How to Stop

I use an FM Radio transmitter in my car, and I copy all of my music files from iTunes to a Micro SD card that I put into the transmitter for my music. The trouble is, when I put the music files on the SD card, it also puts a hidden file version of every single song on the card as well, and it screws up the transmitter. Even when viewing hidden files on mac, I can't see the extra copy, but when I view the folder on windows, I see the hidden copies, and delete them, then the transmitter works fine.

Is there a way to make my mac stop making those hidden copies?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 7:21 AM

In the Terminal application, look at the man page for the dot_clean command:

man dot_clean

You may want to apply it in this manner after copying the files to the SD card:

dot_clean -m /Volumes/SDCard_Name

If you have looked at that SD card with Finder, then there will likely be a hidden .DS_Store file there too, that may be contributing to the playback issue. The dot_clean command does not remove it, and you will have to remove it manually from the SD card.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2020 7:21 AM in response to Con Man

In the Terminal application, look at the man page for the dot_clean command:

man dot_clean

You may want to apply it in this manner after copying the files to the SD card:

dot_clean -m /Volumes/SDCard_Name

If you have looked at that SD card with Finder, then there will likely be a hidden .DS_Store file there too, that may be contributing to the playback issue. The dot_clean command does not remove it, and you will have to remove it manually from the SD card.

Hidden File Copy of Everything I Move Into a Folder - How to Stop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.