Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

signature drop down menu compose mail window is missing

Hi,

when composing a new mail, I can't choose a signature although these are defined for the account, because the menu in the window is missing. This is an old issue, but I haven't the time before to find a solution. I already deleted all the plist files and my whole email setting but noting help. There is still no menu. The default signature comes up, so this at least shows, there is a signature.

Thanks Leif

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 8:51 AM

9 replies

Apr 16, 2020 7:03 AM in response to Leif Jensen-Pistorius

Leif Jensen-Pistorius wrote:

Hi,
when composing a new mail, I can't choose a signature although these are defined for the account, because the menu in the window is missing. This is an old issue, but I haven't the time before to find a solution. I already deleted all the plist files and my whole email setting but noting help. There is still no menu. The default signature comes up, so this at least shows, there is a signature.
Thanks Leif

Create and use email signatures in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Change Signatures preferences in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Verify you have drag and dropped from "All Signatures" to the individual account you wish to use the drop down as an option

Apr 16, 2020 8:13 AM in response to Leif Jensen-Pistorius

Thanks for your reply: here is the screenshot.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/e24307ca-2401-4419-8e93-76785100d588

Verify your preferences:

Change Signatures preferences in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

this is what seems to work for me, with multiple signatures

Making changes, quitting mail and relaunching

reboot are all worth a try.

Apr 16, 2020 8:42 AM in response to Leif Jensen-Pistorius

Thanks again. No as I wrote this doesn't work for me. I set it up several time with different signature for different mail account with all the same, with your drag and drop tip and I can choose for a mail account also a default signature, which is shown then in the new mail, but the menu is missing (see in the screen) to disable or choose another one. I deleted all accounts and plist for signature and the mail program, doesn't help. But thanks for your time.
Leif

The point of the last post was verify you are set to "None."

If it is a corrupt plist, you can try deleting—

If it is a corrupt plist you can try— quit the mail.app

and Delete the com.apple.mail.plist from Finder>Go>Go To Folder, copy and paste:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist 

relaunch the mail.app and test. The plist will automatically rebuild itself.

if no change you can always Control click the deleted .plist in the Trash>Put Back

There are also a couple signature plist included in the Signatures folder, you can try deleting those. Quit Mail—

From Finder>Go>Go to Folder, copy and paste:

~/Library/Mail/V7/MailData/Signatures

Apr 16, 2020 7:37 AM in response to Leif Jensen-Pistorius

Thanks, I already saw this somewhere else and tried it already. My problem is Not, That the signature are not in the menu, the whole menu is not there, the Space where it should be is just empty.
leif

You are going to have to clarify— what menu are you referring to here(?) screens shot circles and arrows may help paint a more clear picture of what you are seeing or not seeing.

please advise...

Apr 16, 2020 8:14 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks again. No as I wrote this doesn't work for me. I set it up several time with different signature for different mail account with all the same, with your drag and drop tip and I can choose for a mail account also a default signature, which is shown then in the new mail, but the menu is missing (see in the screen) to disable or choose another one. I deleted all accounts and plist for signature and the mail program, doesn't help. But thanks for your time.

Leif

Apr 16, 2020 9:03 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks, one of my first guesses was to delete the pref file, but I wasn't aware thetas not longer just plain in the in ~/Library/Preferences and so I deleted only the one in this folder and later on as well the whole Mail folder in the Library folder. So deleting ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist (and a few other that are named like this one com.apple.mail.plist.POmtRwx) helps. Now the menu is back.

Thanks for you very helpful support.

Leif

Apr 16, 2020 10:01 AM in response to Leif Jensen-Pistorius

Thanks, one of my first guesses was to delete the pref file, but I wasn't aware thetas not longer just plain in the in ~/Library/Preferences and so I deleted only the one in this folder and later on as well the whole Mail folder in the Library folder. So deleting ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist (and a few other that are named like this one com.apple.mail.plist.POmtRwx) helps. Now the menu is back.

Thanks for you very helpful support.
Leif

Good computing Leif Jensen-Pistorius !

signature drop down menu compose mail window is missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.