Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

changing default video upload location in imovie 10.1.8

Hi,

I have a 2014 mac mini running sierra and iMovie 10.1.8. The hard drive is getting full.

I need to change the upload location to an external drive, as well as move prev uploaded video project clips there.

I don't see anywhere in the import screen to choose a new hard drive / folder. I only see hard drive choices to import from.

iMovie used to import the clip fully into its location on the internal drive, does 10.1.8 still do that? or does it just keep a link trail to the original location of the clip.

if it doesnt fully import, how do you choose an alternate storage folder / drive when importing a video stream thru a convertor.

Much appreciative for any help!

Thanks Duane

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 11:32 AM

When your hard drive is getting full, you can move your iMovie library to an external drive formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Before doing that, open iMovie and select the iMovie library title in the media sidebar, and do a File/Consolidate Library Media. Then move the library. You can just drag it to the external drive. Then when you import into iMovie the originals of the media will go into the Library located on the external drive.

Projects themselves cannot be independently transferred. Only the library that contains the project can be transferred, carrying the project along with it.

Clips imported into iMovie are stored in the iMovie Library in a folder titled Original Media. They are full sized duplicates of original clips, not links. If you have the original clips also stored in a different place on your computer hard drive, then you will have two sets of original clips, one in iMovie and one in the different location, thus doubling the usage of hard drive space. You can move the folder of clips from your hard drive to an external drive, and that will reduce the use of your storage space.

-- Rich

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2020 11:32 AM in response to DSusername

When your hard drive is getting full, you can move your iMovie library to an external drive formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Before doing that, open iMovie and select the iMovie library title in the media sidebar, and do a File/Consolidate Library Media. Then move the library. You can just drag it to the external drive. Then when you import into iMovie the originals of the media will go into the Library located on the external drive.

Projects themselves cannot be independently transferred. Only the library that contains the project can be transferred, carrying the project along with it.

Clips imported into iMovie are stored in the iMovie Library in a folder titled Original Media. They are full sized duplicates of original clips, not links. If you have the original clips also stored in a different place on your computer hard drive, then you will have two sets of original clips, one in iMovie and one in the different location, thus doubling the usage of hard drive space. You can move the folder of clips from your hard drive to an external drive, and that will reduce the use of your storage space.

-- Rich

Apr 18, 2020 3:47 PM in response to DSusername

Go to your external drive and double click on the library. iMovie will open in that library.

Another way is to open iMovie while holding down the Option key. You will get a dialogue box where you can choose which library that you want iMovie to open. Navigate from the box to your external drive and select your iMovie library.

-- Rich

Apr 18, 2020 12:07 PM in response to DSusername

Not sure what you mean by "a condensed item". The iMovie Library

that you copied from your Movies folder should have an icon that looks like

this:

Is that what you copied over to the external drive? I would not delete

anything from your internal drive until you have verified that everything is

working properly on the library that you copied over to the external drive.

That is, that iMovie will open in it, all your projects and media are there,

and you can create and share out projects from it.

Yes, when you open iMovie in the library on the external drive any media

that you import into iMovie will be stored in that library. As long as your

external drive is plugged in to your computer, when you open iMovie in the

library stored on it iMovie will point to it and find it. Make sure that the

library is stored at the root level of the drive, i.e, not in any folder. You

can open iMovie in the external drive library by double clicking on the

library's icon.

-- Rich

Apr 18, 2020 11:04 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the info, it's taken me a few days to actually get in there & try it. When I found the iMovie Library, it was 1 condensed item (not a folder or doc that I recognized). but it was 35+ gig so I'm guessing thats what I needed to move.

A Q - once I finish moving that, and then trash whats in the internal drive, does the 'moved' library point iMovie to its new location? Will it look in the new location for those files?

And if I understand correctly, having moved that library file to the ext HD, new imports will go there too. Am I getting that right?

Thanks again

Duane

(I have another computer w/ snow leopard & iMovie 10.1.1 do do the same thing with. It quick glance it looks like a diff procedure, but I won't dig into that until this is done & working)

Apr 18, 2020 3:06 PM in response to Rich839

I moved everything, and the icon you showed is what I moved. I moved the whole "movies" folder to the root level of my external drive.

But this is the part that puzzles me - your quote "when you open iMovie in the library on the external drive any media..."

How do I open iMovie in the library?

I opened iMovie (the way I usually do) and when I moused over clips, the little marker window shows its still finding them on my internal drive (I havent removed them yet).

Is there another way to open iMove so that it now gets its files from the external HD? I didnt see any preference I could set.

Thanks

Duane

changing default video upload location in imovie 10.1.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.