Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina On My Mac emial disappears. exists on Mac, just not showing in Mail

Catalina makes email vanished when moved to folder On My Mac. (from IMAP inbox) Doesn't show in Sidebar. BUT email do exist as emix files in the library]v7\... location for the folder. Folder exists as named. Email there. Just doesn't show in Viewer. I can open the emix files in Mail. I tired Rebuild. Nope. Tried deleting the 3 envelope index files. Nope. Just happens when 2 of 20 folders, so far.

Any other ideas to make Mail show the files that exist? I tried moving an email opened from the emix file. to the folder On My Mac. No good. Forwarded this opened emial to myself and tried moving it again. Nope.

Is there a way to ave an opened email to a folder? Different than moving a folder form one location to another. I could open all 50 emails and save them.

Thanks for any help you might give to this. I'm disappointed with Catalina mail. Keep hoping Apple will fix it back to at least Mojave quality.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 7:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 3:13 PM

Defective info.plist file was the cause. Deep in the library\mail\v7\ path, in each folder or subfolder there is an info-plist file. It tells the OS how to read the folder. There was a writing error in the folders that wouldn't show emails that existed in the folders. The line was <string>YES</string> Folders that displayed correctly had NO in this line, not YES. Changed the setting and the folder shows all email in it.

Thanks for your simple idea of making sure the folder was in View mode. I couldn't figure out how to find my original question to post this solution. A fews hours of trying solutions found on the 'Net and Apple didn't find this solution. Comapring working and not working info.plist; then editing the defective ones worked.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2020 3:13 PM in response to leroydouglas

Defective info.plist file was the cause. Deep in the library\mail\v7\ path, in each folder or subfolder there is an info-plist file. It tells the OS how to read the folder. There was a writing error in the folders that wouldn't show emails that existed in the folders. The line was <string>YES</string> Folders that displayed correctly had NO in this line, not YES. Changed the setting and the folder shows all email in it.

Thanks for your simple idea of making sure the folder was in View mode. I couldn't figure out how to find my original question to post this solution. A fews hours of trying solutions found on the 'Net and Apple didn't find this solution. Comapring working and not working info.plist; then editing the defective ones worked.

Apr 17, 2020 6:01 PM in response to henryec3

henryec3 wrote:

Excellent henryec3 ! Good computing.

Catalina On My Mac emial disappears. exists on Mac, just not showing in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.