Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imovie

Imovie (10.1.14) on Macbook (10.15.3) did not save changes on project in last week. I did make a current file on my hard drive in MP4 format. Do I have to convert mp4 file back to imovie to edit project?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 10:52 PM

You would need to drag the Mp4 video into an iMovie project timeline. You could edit it ther, but your editing options would be limited. You could do splits, add new clips, add titles, and add effects, but you couldn’t undo any previous editing that is embedded into the clip.

IMovie should automatically have saved your edits. What happened there?

— Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2020 10:52 PM in response to SteveTennis

You would need to drag the Mp4 video into an iMovie project timeline. You could edit it ther, but your editing options would be limited. You could do splits, add new clips, add titles, and add effects, but you couldn’t undo any previous editing that is embedded into the clip.

IMovie should automatically have saved your edits. What happened there?

— Rich

Apr 18, 2020 9:03 AM in response to SteveTennis

Hmmmm. That's odd. You might try looking in the iMovie backups folder and opening in a backup library to see if your projects contain all of your editing.

To get to the iMovie Backups folder, follow this file path from the Finder menu:

Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups

When you get there you will see a list of previous backups of your iMovie library.  Click on one dated just before your issue started.  iMovie will open in that library.   Navigate to your projects browser (where your projects are displayed as icons) and see if your projects are intact and contain your previous edits.

-- Rich

Imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.