Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Photo not syncing and can't create shared file

IS PHOTOS ALL MESSED UP FOR YOU SINCE UPDATE ?

Hello,

Ive had this going on for more than a week. Ive done everything from restarting everything, getting updates, all devices on same account and so on. I also waited because this started after the last update 10.15.4 and thought someone would also have this going on and would be solved. NO LUCK!! So this is probably me. My iPad and iPhone sync with iCloud.com perfectly excepted right now as I'm typing this. Problem is with my Mac (5K 2015). Nothing is syncing, People Album stopped scanning (I think) and now realize I cant create a Shared Album. When I try to create a Shared Album the message "Cannot Create Shared Album". So I've checked Photo> Preferences> iCloud and thats just a button with No information that explain.

Thanks for reading and for any help!!

Joe

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 4:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 1:39 PM

Hello theemurman1, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! I understand that you're having an issue where Photos on your Mac is not syncing with iCloud Photos as your iPad and iPhone are. 

It sounds like you've done a good job checking the settings so far. The first thing I can recommend is quitting all apps, and restarting your Mac. Once restarted, open Safari and go to the iCloud website. See if you can create a new album in iCloud Photos. Once created, see if that new album appears on all of your devices, specifically does it appear in Photos on your Mac. If it does not appear, that tells us that your Mac and iCloud Photos are not communicating as they should. 

Next, check to see that you have designated a System Photo Library. iCloud Photos only work with the System Photo Library: Designate a System Photo Library in Photos.

If you have designated the System Photo Library, are currently using it, and the album doesn't appear, quit Photos. Go to System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud (in the sidebar on the left side) > verify that Photos is selected. If it is selected, deselect it, and then select it again. See if there is any change.

All the best.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2020 1:39 PM in response to theemurman1

Hello theemurman1, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! I understand that you're having an issue where Photos on your Mac is not syncing with iCloud Photos as your iPad and iPhone are. 

It sounds like you've done a good job checking the settings so far. The first thing I can recommend is quitting all apps, and restarting your Mac. Once restarted, open Safari and go to the iCloud website. See if you can create a new album in iCloud Photos. Once created, see if that new album appears on all of your devices, specifically does it appear in Photos on your Mac. If it does not appear, that tells us that your Mac and iCloud Photos are not communicating as they should. 

Next, check to see that you have designated a System Photo Library. iCloud Photos only work with the System Photo Library: Designate a System Photo Library in Photos.

If you have designated the System Photo Library, are currently using it, and the album doesn't appear, quit Photos. Go to System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud (in the sidebar on the left side) > verify that Photos is selected. If it is selected, deselect it, and then select it again. See if there is any change.

All the best.

Apr 19, 2020 5:52 PM in response to brenden dv

Good Evening Brendan,

Thanks that worked. More specifically at the point of DESIGNATE. I went and followed link. I went here a few times this week but didn't mess with anything. I didn't even bother before because the correct file was there and in the past messing with photo files on Apple anything is a headache. This time after clicking the USE AS SYSTEM PHOTO LIBRARY the wheel came up for about an hour until I force quit. I went back and clicked again and it worked.

Thanks again and hope this helps other!!

Mac Photo not syncing and can't create shared file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.