Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac 'TV' app - Library Artwork won't show

Hi all,

I have a personal library of Movies.

I've used iFlicks 3 to update the metadata and artwork.

I re-loaded the files into the TV app on my Mac.

All the movies play and the metadata info is correct. But the artwork won't show in the library main page (see Screen Shot 1 & 2).

However, if I go to 'Get Info' on a movie and go to the 'Artwork' tab, the correct artwork is there (see Screen Shot 3).

Is there anyway to refresh the TV app or delete a cache or something that will force the app to display the artwork attached to the file?

Thank you

Screen Shot 1:

Screen Shot 2:

Screen Shot 3:

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 7:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 7:01 PM

Hi brenden dv,

I actually figured this out. I shall explain below in case anyone else is having a similar issue.

The situation:

• I store my media (movie and TV files) and 'TV Library' file on an external HD.
  • This allows me to move the HD between a Mac mini and my laptop and open the one library on either computer.
  • All my video files are run through iFlicks 3 to update metadata and have an imbedded cover artwork applied to the file.

What I have discovered:

• When adding new video files to the TV app, the file gets copied and organised into the designated destination on the external HD, as expected.
  • A copy of the embedded cover artwork of that file is made and saved locally on the computer in the following destination:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.APMArtworkAgent/Data/Documents.

• It is this copied artwork that is used to generate the 'TV library' thumbnails in the TV app.

NOT the artwork within the video file.

My solution to view correct artwork on both computers:

• I need to make sure that all the files (I mean everything as this includes a folder of artwork and directory files) located in the below folder on all my computers match exactly:

eg. If my external HD is connected to my Mac mini and I add a video file to the TV library. I need to go to the above location on the Mac mini and make a copy of all the files in that folder. (usually add this to the external HD).

When I then next plug the external HD into my laptop, I need to replace the contents of the above location with the one on my HD. When I open the TV app now, everything will show correctly.

Notes:

• This was never a problem before Catalina. In the previous iTunes, the cover artwork files and directories where saved in the same location as the media files (so where ever you set this in the iTunes preferences). So everything iTunes needed would be stored together, which in my case was on the external HD.
  • I have no idea how to make the TV app save its artwork and directories with the media files or how to make the TV app 'look' to a different location for the artwork thumbnails :( I wish I was more tech savvy, or Apple would just fix this.
  • The above is also relevant to the new Music app too. Album artwork is copied locally and the Music app thumbnails are pulled from there. NOT from the music files themselves :(

Anyway, I hope that all makes sense and helps anyone else in the same position.

Sachi

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2020 7:01 PM in response to brenden dv

Hi brenden dv,

I actually figured this out. I shall explain below in case anyone else is having a similar issue.

The situation:

• I store my media (movie and TV files) and 'TV Library' file on an external HD.
  • This allows me to move the HD between a Mac mini and my laptop and open the one library on either computer.
  • All my video files are run through iFlicks 3 to update metadata and have an imbedded cover artwork applied to the file.

What I have discovered:

• When adding new video files to the TV app, the file gets copied and organised into the designated destination on the external HD, as expected.
  • A copy of the embedded cover artwork of that file is made and saved locally on the computer in the following destination:

• It is this copied artwork that is used to generate the 'TV library' thumbnails in the TV app.

NOT the artwork within the video file.

My solution to view correct artwork on both computers:

• I need to make sure that all the files (I mean everything as this includes a folder of artwork and directory files) located in the below folder on all my computers match exactly:

eg. If my external HD is connected to my Mac mini and I add a video file to the TV library. I need to go to the above location on the Mac mini and make a copy of all the files in that folder. (usually add this to the external HD).

When I then next plug the external HD into my laptop, I need to replace the contents of the above location with the one on my HD. When I open the TV app now, everything will show correctly.

Notes:

• This was never a problem before Catalina. In the previous iTunes, the cover artwork files and directories where saved in the same location as the media files (so where ever you set this in the iTunes preferences). So everything iTunes needed would be stored together, which in my case was on the external HD.
  • I have no idea how to make the TV app save its artwork and directories with the media files or how to make the TV app 'look' to a different location for the artwork thumbnails :( I wish I was more tech savvy, or Apple would just fix this.
  • The above is also relevant to the new Music app too. Album artwork is copied locally and the Music app thumbnails are pulled from there. NOT from the music files themselves :(

Anyway, I hope that all makes sense and helps anyone else in the same position.

Sachi

Apr 19, 2020 4:34 PM in response to Sachi.R

Hello Sachi.R,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I understand that artwork is missing in the TV app. I'll do what I can to help.

Try all of these suggestions:

• If you haven't already, be sure to back up then update the Mac to the latest version possible: How to update the software on your Mac
  • If the Mac is already completely updated, the way to refresh anything would be to close and restart the app: Quit apps on Mac
  • Restart your Mac from the Apple () menu then Restart if the artwork still doesn't appear

Thanks.

Mac 'TV' app - Library Artwork won't show

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.