Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download of Catalina not completing on MacBook Air?

Lastnight my Macbook air needed restarting as I was seeing green screens whenever I tried youtube/netflix/etc and this solved the problem. I then thought 'ah! Could need an update!'

I began to download the OS Catalina upgrade for my MacBook and it seemed to have downloaded all 8.23GB...but the loading bar would not complete and it would just remain this way?

I tried to then download it in safe mode and the same thing happened.

Now I am a little worried since my Mac has frozen a couple of times today (although that could have been Skype..) and I'm panicking over things that are probably unrelated. If anyone has any reassuring advice or has experienced the same thing I would love a response.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 4:46 AM

I'm wondering if the macOS update app download actually finished or whether it's really stuck. Attempting to download it in Safe Mode was the next logical step, but I understand that didn't work.

Look for it in your Applications folder or Launchpad. If you see an Install macOS Catalina icon, open it.

If that icon is not present or if you confirm the download has in fact stalled, you might try Starting up from macOS Recovery using the ⌥ ⌘ R key chord, corresponding to "Upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac."

Now I am a little worried since my Mac has frozen a couple of times today ...

The freezing may have been related to Skype. Whatever you do though, be sure to follow Apple's install macOS Catalina instructions—particularly Learn how to back up your Mac. That should help ease your concern. Besides, it's what everyone ought to be doing anyway, upgrades notwithstanding.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2020 4:46 AM in response to kerryleighaha

I'm wondering if the macOS update app download actually finished or whether it's really stuck. Attempting to download it in Safe Mode was the next logical step, but I understand that didn't work.

Look for it in your Applications folder or Launchpad. If you see an Install macOS Catalina icon, open it.

If that icon is not present or if you confirm the download has in fact stalled, you might try Starting up from macOS Recovery using the ⌥ ⌘ R key chord, corresponding to "Upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac."

Now I am a little worried since my Mac has frozen a couple of times today ...

The freezing may have been related to Skype. Whatever you do though, be sure to follow Apple's install macOS Catalina instructions—particularly Learn how to back up your Mac. That should help ease your concern. Besides, it's what everyone ought to be doing anyway, upgrades notwithstanding.

Download of Catalina not completing on MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.