Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi Messages on iPad

I am sending out my iPhone to be serviced today. I do not have cellular on my iPad, but I do have access to a constant WiFi connection. Will incoming and outgoing texts operate as normal? Will someone messaging me need to send it to my Apple ID instead of my cell number?

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 6:52 AM

See here:

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

As long as your iPhone is turned on and connected to Wi-Fi or a cellular

network, new SMS/MMS texts can be sent and received on the devices that

you added.

Since your phone will be off while its serviced, SMs and MMS messages will not be received on your iPad..

Users if Apple devices can continue to message you normally, and they should be received on your iPad as long as they are sent as an iMessage.

Users of Android devices or Apple devices sending SMS messages will need to find a different way to message you as those will not be received by your iPad, while your iPhone is not available.

Apple devices users will need to use iMessage, and Android users will need other messaging services if you have them such as Skype, or Facebook Messenger if you use them.

Also, if you use Whatsapp, it will not work on the iPad either.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2020 6:52 AM in response to elizabeth-ann80

See here:

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

As long as your iPhone is turned on and connected to Wi-Fi or a cellular

network, new SMS/MMS texts can be sent and received on the devices that

you added.

Since your phone will be off while its serviced, SMs and MMS messages will not be received on your iPad..

Users if Apple devices can continue to message you normally, and they should be received on your iPad as long as they are sent as an iMessage.

Users of Android devices or Apple devices sending SMS messages will need to find a different way to message you as those will not be received by your iPad, while your iPhone is not available.

Apple devices users will need to use iMessage, and Android users will need other messaging services if you have them such as Skype, or Facebook Messenger if you use them.

Also, if you use Whatsapp, it will not work on the iPad either.

Apr 20, 2020 5:48 AM in response to elizabeth-ann80

if somebody send an imessage to you it will be recieved, imessages can only be send from apple devices

if somebody send you an sms from a non apple device it will not be an imessage and will not be recieved

but if you also have an iphone using the same appleID you can make the iphone pass on sms's and send sms's on behalf of the ipad

read

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/send-sms-messages-ipad

WiFi Messages on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.