Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to download full size images via iCloud- is this possible?

Spinoff from a previous post as this was never directly answered by Apple. When I upload pictures from my iPhone to iCloud and then download them from iCloud to my PC, the picture files are compressed and smaller in size (KB) than the original, despite assurances that the iCloud file is an exact, full resolution copy of the image as stored in my iphone (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264). How can I keep the original size file when I go to download from iCloud? In an infuriating turn of events, my iphone doesn't stay connected via the cord so the only way to access pictures taken on my phone are through iCloud, but as I said the image quality is inferior when accessed this way.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 10:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 7:27 AM

Hi, thanks for the response. That still does not provide a full resolution picture even though the verbiage strongly implies that it does. I am able to get a small handful of pictures downloaded via the cable before it disconnects so I was able to verify the true resolution of an image. Below is the file size of the same image downloaded from my iPhone 8 Plus using three methods:

Downloaded from iPhone via cable: 2.2 MB

Downloaded via iCloud internet browser (Chrome) interface (Unmodified Original selected): 463 KB

Downloaded via iCloud App for PC's (no option given): 1.76 MB

Am I missing anything? It would appear that it is impossible to download pictures from an iPhone at full resolution once the cable stops reliably transferring data, and that the internet interface is an abysmal option for downloading. Is that correct Apple?

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2020 7:27 AM in response to LACAllen

Hi, thanks for the response. That still does not provide a full resolution picture even though the verbiage strongly implies that it does. I am able to get a small handful of pictures downloaded via the cable before it disconnects so I was able to verify the true resolution of an image. Below is the file size of the same image downloaded from my iPhone 8 Plus using three methods:

Downloaded from iPhone via cable: 2.2 MB

Downloaded via iCloud internet browser (Chrome) interface (Unmodified Original selected): 463 KB

Downloaded via iCloud App for PC's (no option given): 1.76 MB

Am I missing anything? It would appear that it is impossible to download pictures from an iPhone at full resolution once the cable stops reliably transferring data, and that the internet interface is an abysmal option for downloading. Is that correct Apple?

Apr 21, 2020 3:07 PM in response to LACAllen

I confess I had a little bit of fun here after it didn't appear my issue was getting fixed, but I think your assertion above is pretty naive. The issue I brought up is compatibility between products created by competing companies, not between products made by the same company. I generally detest conspiracy theorists, particularity of the political variety. But the notion of Apple intentionally making their products (somewhat) incompatible with those of a rival isn't some outlandish conspiracy theory out of the dark recesses of the internet, it's capitalism followed to its logical conclusion. If you don't think Apple knowingly makes decisions that make it unsatisfactory to plug another maker's products into a user's existing Apple 'ecosystem,' I don't know what to tell you.

This thread turned out to be soemthing wholly different from what I intended when I started it, but I have enjoyed the chat and appreciate you trying to help.

Apr 21, 2020 3:37 PM in response to inge65

This thread turned out to be soemthing wholly different from what I intended when I started it, but I have enjoyed the chat and appreciate you trying to help.

Just to be through, I fired up a Windows 8 machine I have, signed in to iCloud and tested using IE (11.0.9.06) and Firefox (47.01) and Chrome (81.0.4044.113).

All 3 give me the full sized file on download from iCloud.com.

The issue seems to be at your end. VPN? Proxy server?

Apr 27, 2020 1:35 PM in response to LACAllen

Sorry for the extreme delay- working from home has its challenges.

I'm not using a VPN or proxy server when I download the pics.

One interesting thing I noticed is that older pictures (3 months old) on my iCloud are of less resolution than ones taken recently. This does not account for the entire file size discrepancy but it's not an insignificant difference either. I did recently up my iCloud storage size so I wonder if they were compressed previously to fit on the limited free iCloud account size?

Does the 'Optimize iPhone Storage' vs 'Download and keep originals' setting (under Settings>your name>iCloud>Photos) have any effect on the size of the file stored in iCloud?

Apr 27, 2020 3:35 PM in response to inge65

did recently up my iCloud storage size so I wonder if they were compressed previously to fit on the limited free iCloud

iCloud does not work that way. It will stop accepting uploads rather than educe file size.

Optimize iPhone Storage' vs 'Download and keep originals' setting (under Settings>your name>iCloud>Photos) have any effect on the size of the file stored in iCloud?

Again, no. that is a setting for the phone only. There is no optimize for iCloud.

Need to download full size images via iCloud- is this possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.