Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old iSight Camera Catalina Compatibility

I have an old external firewire iSight camera that I was trying to use with Facetime on my Mac Pro (2013) running Catalina. Facetime will not recognize the camera nor will it show up in the system preferences. I tested it with both iMovie & Final Cut Pro X and it functions just fine so I know the camera works. When I open Facetime, there's just a blank black screen. You can hear the camera focusing & the green light is on, but no video & no options to select it under the "video" tab.

Mac Pro

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 5:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 8:29 AM

Hey Rob,

I'm using a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13 inch, mid 2014) with Catalina 10.15.4

At first, the only way I could get my Firewire iSight to work in FaceTime is to first launch the app using the built in camera in my MacBook screen (annoying as I mainly use my machine in clamshell with an external monitor). Once open and running on the built in camera, I could then select iSight under the Video menu.

After some trials, I realised I could start a FaceTime call with the iSight on 'blank screen' and once the connection is made, the video starts. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

Others are saying the iSight has audio issues in Catalina but mine works fine - the firmware is 1.0.3. (The last time the 'iSight Updater' app worked was in Leopard 10.5) Check About This Mac > System Information > FireWire to see details.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2020 8:29 AM in response to RobD38

Hey Rob,

I'm using a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13 inch, mid 2014) with Catalina 10.15.4

At first, the only way I could get my Firewire iSight to work in FaceTime is to first launch the app using the built in camera in my MacBook screen (annoying as I mainly use my machine in clamshell with an external monitor). Once open and running on the built in camera, I could then select iSight under the Video menu.

After some trials, I realised I could start a FaceTime call with the iSight on 'blank screen' and once the connection is made, the video starts. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

Others are saying the iSight has audio issues in Catalina but mine works fine - the firmware is 1.0.3. (The last time the 'iSight Updater' app worked was in Leopard 10.5) Check About This Mac > System Information > FireWire to see details.

Jul 11, 2020 7:29 PM in response to israelfrompa

The video works, it's the audio they killed. No Mic. I am betting since you are on an iMac, maybe you're able to get it to work, because you're using the iMac mic?

Check your settings and verify if you are able to get the actual iSight mic to work as your input source. (option-click the speaker icon in your menu bar)

For now, I just got a cheap $18 USB2 cam from China, and yes, I know, it's far superior to the ancient iSight, but I would really still love to get my Apple iSight working. It matches the Mac, and has auto focus, which the new ones do not, unless you get an expensive one.

I am hoping in time, Apple will fix it, or maybe someone will figure out how to enable it again.

If the mic driver is 32bit, then we are probably at Apple's mercy. I have a feeling that's the issue.

The iSight works great in Mojave.

Aug 19, 2020 11:41 AM in response to lukecbarker

your macbook pro has a built in mic. which explains why your audio works.

I have a cheap chinese webcam, and similar to yours, I can launch facetime with both cameras to choose from, but isight audio is not recognized. so I am stuck with keeping the cheap camera for picking up audio.

wish there was a fix so i can throw away this garbage and use the isight.

Sep 28, 2020 7:27 PM in response to RobD38

I'm just posting this for visibility. I'm running an iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010) running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6

First thing: make sure that your isight camera iris is FULLY OPEN! (and also powered, obviously)

Then, open the Photo Booth App.

Then select "Camera" in the toolbar

Then select "iSight" camera

Then BINGO!

It should automatically transfer capability to the Facetime app, both video and audio.

This was the only successful workaround for me. I just used it in a Facetime call with my mom 09/28/2020

Sep 28, 2020 7:32 PM in response to rafa-el

I'm just posting this for visibility. I'm running an iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010) running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6

First thing: make sure that your isight camera iris is FULLY OPEN! (and also powered, obviously)

Then, open the Photo Booth App.

Then select "Camera" in the toolbar

Then select "iSight" camera

Then BINGO!

It should automatically transfer capability to the Facetime app, both video and audio.

This was the only successful workaround for me. I just used it in a Facetime call with my mom 09/28/2020

Oct 7, 2020 11:19 PM in response to RobD38

Not sure if this is of interest but my ancient iSight also works. It has firmware 1.0.3 and it was nice to resurrect it for a test. It hasn't been used since my eMac was retired well over a decade ago. I have the iSight working with my iMac (late 2015 21.5 inch) and running Mojave 10.14.6

I plugged it in with the various adapters and got it to work with several video chat softwares, although without any sound. All the chat software continued to use my iMac's inbuilt mic. Also, my System Preferences did not recognise the iSight as an audio input.

I started with FaceTime which launched happily and allowed me to choose iSight as a camera. Skype and Zoom also saw the camera and I switched over to it. Same with Cisco Webex Meetings. Even Photo Booth could use the iSight.

In each of these it was fuzzy and strobing and, sadly, not even close to the quality of my inbuilt FaceTime HD camera.

I can't help thinking too that it won't work with Big Sur and a 64 bit-only system.

Old iSight Camera Catalina Compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.