Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can a 10 year old send and receive email?

I'm having a difficult time using an old iPad for my 10 yr old. does it only allow 1 account for messaging at a time? FaceTime seems to allow several accounts to work but I'm having a tough time getting messages to work. the email address to verify the account is not being sent all together. Any ideas?

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 11:43 AM

Messages and Email are 2 different things. What exactly are you trying to add to the iPad? An account from whcih to receive emails. or an adress that can be used ot send instant messages?

The email App, can support a number of different accounts.

Facetime only uses one Apple ID at a time, wether that Apple ID has numerous email addresses attached to it, only means a person can use any of the attached email addresses to start a call to the person that owns that Apple ID.

To add email accounts to the email app go into Settings->Passwords & Accounts->Add Account.

You can add any existing account from any provider, Apple or otherwise there. The Mail app does not send any message whatsoever to verify the account.

If adding addresses to messages, it works essentially the same as Facetime, this however, does not mean a message account for each person. It simply means an address that can be used to send messages to the owner of the Apple ID.

To add more addresses to messages you need to do so from Settings->Account(top of settings)->Name, Phone Numbers, Email->Reachable At.

This is still only one account. When doing that, any device you own that is logged in to that Apple ID will receive the messages sent to all the addresses.

So yes you will recieve messages sent to the 10 yr old, but the 10yr old will receive messages sent to you as well, technically the Messages app is what will receive the messages. This is not the same as receiving email.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2020 11:43 AM in response to meir25

Messages and Email are 2 different things. What exactly are you trying to add to the iPad? An account from whcih to receive emails. or an adress that can be used ot send instant messages?

The email App, can support a number of different accounts.

Facetime only uses one Apple ID at a time, wether that Apple ID has numerous email addresses attached to it, only means a person can use any of the attached email addresses to start a call to the person that owns that Apple ID.

To add email accounts to the email app go into Settings->Passwords & Accounts->Add Account.

You can add any existing account from any provider, Apple or otherwise there. The Mail app does not send any message whatsoever to verify the account.

If adding addresses to messages, it works essentially the same as Facetime, this however, does not mean a message account for each person. It simply means an address that can be used to send messages to the owner of the Apple ID.

To add more addresses to messages you need to do so from Settings->Account(top of settings)->Name, Phone Numbers, Email->Reachable At.

This is still only one account. When doing that, any device you own that is logged in to that Apple ID will receive the messages sent to all the addresses.

So yes you will recieve messages sent to the 10 yr old, but the 10yr old will receive messages sent to you as well, technically the Messages app is what will receive the messages. This is not the same as receiving email.

Apr 22, 2020 12:33 PM in response to QuickPost

Hoepfully this won't be censored like the previous messages. In response to your answer to my post, which I posted in concern about your reply:

That was no insult, that was a question. But one that seems to have directly hit a weak spot.

You also have nothing to do with this question, but still think it would help to tell someone to contact Apple. I have contacted Apple numerous times in the past about different topics - there is no help from them. They either don't care or they answer after long time and with not very helpful suggestions. If course, with billions of customers, what can you expect? That's why the topic starter is here to ask.

can a 10 year old send and receive email?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.