You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

15" 2016 MacBook Pro Backlight Service Program?

My 15" 2016 MacBook Pro is having display problems identical to the ones described in the Backlight Service Program for 13" 2016 MacBook Pros (https://support.apple.com/13-inch-macbook-pro-display-backlight-service). Despite the fact that people have reported similar issues across both models elsewhere online (a quick google search for "MacBook Pro Flexgate" shows this), only 13" models are included in the relief program for whatever reason. I am not particularly eager about potentially paying hundreds of dollars for a display repair due to an inherent flaw in the machine that has been openly acknowledged in some models from the same year. I was wondering if there was a reason for this decision to exclude 15" models from the program and if there is anyway to expand coverage for these models?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 12:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 11:25 AM

Exact same problem with my 15" 2016 MacBook Pro. Problem was intermittent earlier and did not care to take it for service. Apple care expired on Dec2019. Apple refused to fix it. Hope to see they extend the 13" program to 15" as well.

Similar questions

146 replies

May 1, 2020 4:25 AM in response to dougah98

I just had the exact same problem with my 2016 15-inch MBP. I have had Apples for a very long time and I am surprised at how they are handling this issue: i.e. free repair only for 13" and not for 15"!

It is *very* clearly a design defect for the 15" as well as for the 13" and Apple should do the right thing to all of us.

I hope that many 15" owners with this problem will send their feedback to apple so that they extend the free repairs to us as well!

Jun 10, 2020 2:15 PM in response to dougah98

Same issue: 2016 MBP 15 - spotlights this week and 6 months out of extended warranty. Had my keyboard replaced just under the wire as it just started to fail. This round is looking at a screen replace at $800. A quick google returned an identical problem covered by apple for the 13" and a design change on the 2018 on the offending cable. Seems to be a design error due to a cable bending too much over a fixed edge over time. Im one of the long timers with this being my 5th pro laptop with them and hope they give a break on the replacement.

Dec 5, 2020 3:29 PM in response to dougah98

@Apple- please extend your MacBook Pro Display Backlight Service Program TO INCLUDE 15 INCH MACBOOK PROS.

After 3 calls to Apple Support & a trip to Best Buy & the Apple Store (which was conveniently closed to all customers except those purchasing the new iPhone 12,) It was determined that I would have to pay between $690-$850.

The fact the difference between 2 inches would cost me almost as much as a new Macbook is disturbing (albeit convenient for the company.)

I bought my 15 inch in the same time frame as when the service program states the manufacturing problems happened (b/w October 2016 and February 2018.) It's the same 2016 version with 4 Thunderbolt Ports. Even at the end of the feedback survey I took after my customer service calls, where it asks what type of computer I own, Apple groups them as "13 & 15 inch Macbook Pro," showing that the company clearly doesn't think there's a major difference between both models.

Please extend the Backlight Service Program to include 15'' Macbook Pros. There's clearly little difference in the make and model and 2 inches are really expensive to justify not including this type of computer in the repair program.

May 20, 2020 11:34 AM in response to DoggiePavlov

DoggiePavlov wrote:

I have the same problem with my 13" 2017 MacBook Pro. Apple hasn't offered an explanation as to why they only cover the 13" 2016 models when the 15" models and 2017 models all have the exact same problem. Similar to you, I have spent hours and hours doing research on the Flexgate issue. This is extremely frustrating!

Service Program—

https://www.apple.com/support/13-inch-macbook-pro-display-backlight-service/

All you can do is take it in and have it repaired.

At this time, there is no Service Program for this 15" issue of the projector cable, or the 2017 MBP.

Typically in the past if Apple does release a Service Program, they have offered a refund for out of pocket expense parts & labor for the exact issue covered.

Service Programs are triggered by the percentage of all MBP of this spec vs the number of failures documented.

We are not privy to this %, or have any more insight.

A repair ticket, your Apple Feedback—all are heading in the right direction to trigger this release.

Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

A repair at your local AppleStore or AASP will generate a "service record" for the repair on your machine—and this is all you will need to qualify—if a Service Program is issued.

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"—

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Outside USA

https://locate.apple.com/country

An alternative work-a-round for you is to connect to an external monitor if you can not afford the repair price.

May 1, 2020 7:32 AM in response to GranDuc

Here's the thing. You should contact Apple Support and send your machine off to them for repair. They will perform a free diagnostic and quote you a repair cost. If you decide to have the repair and pay for it then later on IF Apple extends the repair program to your model of MacBook Pro then they will issue you a refund for the repair you paid for upon request.

May 1, 2021 8:50 AM in response to dougah98

Being affected with the same screen problem, I have 2 questions:

• It has been clearly said to me, this community is users only, no Apple supervision. So why an answer can be "Apple Approved"?
  • I am receiving, in my mail, answers that are posted in this thread , but they are never visible in the answers flow on this page. They are only facts and are definitely helpful for customers. Why are they deleted, i.e. can't Apple cope with the reality?

May 20, 2020 11:44 AM in response to DoggiePavlov

"Apple hasn't offered an explanation as to why they only cover the 13" 2016 models when the 15" models and 2017 models all have the exact same problem."

I don't know about that. Not saying it isn't true but Apple covered all MacBooks from 2016 to 2019 for the keyboard debacle, because the issue was based off the exact same design issue. There is a reason why the display cable repair program was limited to the 2016 13" MBP, so unless you know for a fact 100% with proof that the issue is exactly the same you can't make that assumption. At this point you'll have to pay for a repair, but if Apple ever comes up with a repair program for your model they may issue you a refund of your repair you paid for upon request.

15" 2016 MacBook Pro Backlight Service Program?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.