Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New LG CX OLED with flashing line at bottom of screen when watching content on inbuilt Apple TV app

Hi, really not sure where this question should go, however I have a brand new LG CX65 OLED tv.

I was watching Bad Boys for Life in 4k last night streamed from the inbuilt Apple TV app. All through the movie, intermittently, there was an annoying flashing coloured line along the bottom of the screen. I have found other people complaining of the same thing on Reddit and it “seems” to be an Apple issue.

Is there any way to report this to Apple for a fix? I haven’t seen the issue on any other source (Disney, Netflix, Google Play, free to air sources)

Here’s a shot of a red line and another of a white line, in dark scenes it’s really distracting.

https://i.imgur.com/Icl26c6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pDnlBzm.jpg

any comments or suggestions welcome, thanks

OLED65CXPTA,

Posted on May 1, 2020 4:02 PM

Similar questions

93 replies

Jun 30, 2020 3:39 PM in response to tb_123

Can anyone tell me how I go about raising this issue with Apple support?

I'm suffering the same on my 55C9 - the two titles I can remember in which it happens consistently are Bad Boys (the first one) and 24 Hour Party People.

A few observations:

1. as you can see from the two images posted by OP (and consistent with my experience), the colour of the line at the bottom of the content matches the colour of the bottom right corner of the screen. Hence, if the whole bottom of the screen is a fairly uniform colour, the line won't be noticable, but I think it's probably there all the time.
  2. I have observed the line starting to appear as the stream kicks into a certain quality level, eg I rewound Bad Boys, and there appeared to be a bit of a skip as it got back into full quality, accompanied by the line.
  3. I'm afraid I'm fairly certain this issue isn't limited to the Apple app, but I can't remember where else I saw it. I just remember my heart sinking as I realised it was likely an issue on LG's end. The Apple app seems to suffer to a far greater extent than anything else though, given that very little of my content is consumed there, yet I've only noticed the line once in another app.

May 15, 2020 11:26 PM in response to tb_123

I have the same issue with my LG c9 55’. I happens all the way through “The Gentleman” and “Bad Boys”. It’s is really annoying. Since you added the app to more devices I have started buying content from Apple again but this will send me back to Amazon if it’s not fixed. There is a thread on Reddit about this too if you search. LMK if you want screenshots or a video.

May 30, 2020 12:54 AM in response to tb_123

Glad you mentioned this as I was experiencing the same issue on my new LG CX watching Joker on the AppleTV app last night. I was worried it was the TV, but have been testing other content through Prime, Netflix, Sky, YouTube, etc with no issue.

It was really irritating and despite liking AppleTV, means I’ll avoid the app until there is a fix.

Jun 2, 2020 7:21 AM in response to tb_123

My solution in the end was to ditch the LG operating system (was experiencing Atmos drop outs too) and buy a Amazon Fire Cube.

For £109 it was well worth it as can now use the AppleTV app on that without issue, alongside all the other functionality it offers. I did originally buy a AppleTV 4K, but returned it after realising it doesn’t support Dolby Vision / HDR on Prime and Disney+ (only it’s own Apple content and Netflix).

Not really a full solution I know, but for what it’s worth I no longer have the issue.

Jun 19, 2020 4:51 PM in response to tb_123

I'll tell you what fixed this issue for me. I had this occurring on certain movies on both the Apple TV, and the Plex app. Not all of movies, only some of them. It drove me crazy. Anyway because multiple apps were affected, it proved to me it was a TV problem, not an individual app problem. I finally found the setting on the TV that got rid of the flashing line at the bottom of cropped movies. It's called Screen Shift. Screen Shift must be turned on. It's located under Settings, Picture, Additional Settings, OLED Panel Settings, Screen Shift. I hope this helps you guys. I went through pretty much all of the settings before discovering this.

Jun 19, 2020 5:01 PM in response to tb_123

Interesting. I don't recall seeing a setting called Just Scan. So I'm thinking that either the terminology changed or I don't know where the setting is. Mine LG is a 2019 model. If Just Scan exist with Screen Shift, then it may be a combination of settings versus just one setting that resolves this issue. Seems to me LG should have fixed this a long time ago.

Jun 19, 2020 5:21 PM in response to SergeantJay

Hello, I just tried your recommended fix by turning on screen shift. Two things to note: 1. It fixes Letterbox movies like Enter the Dragon, however, it crops the picture ever so slightly. You are definitely losing 1 to 1 pixels with this feature turned on. 2. It does not work with movies like Batman 89 which doesn’t have black letter bars. If you own the movie just go to the scene where Bruce Wayne is trying to talk to Vicky vale to tell her he’s Batman. You can clearly see a line still flashing at the bottom of the screen.

I believe the problem lies with LG but it could be with Apple who knows. Both companies need to work together to fix that problem.

Jun 26, 2020 9:31 AM in response to gilmour69

This does not FIX the issue. That advice only puts a band-aid on the issue and on films that don't have big letterbox bars the problem is still there. When you turn on screen shift it will crop the image, because its cropping the image the pixel on the lower part of the letterbox isn't exposed therefore you don't get that stupid line flashing at the bottom of the screen.

LG or Apple still need to fix this! Please don't accept this as a fix.

Jun 28, 2020 2:49 PM in response to gilmour69

reported the issue to apple and they said their engineer worked on the problem and resolved it but obviously it was not the case since it has not been done at all...I purchased more than 40 movies with apple and these horrible horizontal lines keep flashing on more than half of my movies, both HD and 4K so it is better to avoid byuing anything else unless they fix the problem...seems they do not care about it since one of their idiot advisors suggested changing my internet provider and wrote that my wi fi is too weak!

Jun 30, 2020 10:48 AM in response to SergeantJay

I use to think it was an LG side issue but how do you explain the flashing line not happening to all movies? For instance, no flashing line for Sonic The Hedgehog, Jaws, Top Gun and more. But you get flashing line for Enter The Dragon, Batman 89, Batman Returns, Blade Runner 2048, E.T, Ghostbusters, The Banker etc etc. it’s so random it’s like it’s happening by title.

New LG CX OLED with flashing line at bottom of screen when watching content on inbuilt Apple TV app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.