Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhoneSE 2020 wifi painfully slow??

Is anyone else having wifi problems w the new iPhone SE?

It runs in all cases about 75% slower than miy old iPhone 6s. I am on a 1GB fiber internet connection, with Apple Airports throughout.

I generally use the 5GHz spectrum.

A full phone reset, and using only factory settings, makes no difference. At all ...

iPhone SE

Posted on May 1, 2020 8:57 PM

228 replies

Sep 28, 2020 9:05 PM in response to iphone_bp

Well you simply upgraded it.

other people have asked for a replacement and they encounter the same problem.

it could be :

• expected behavior on iPhone SE

which I don’t think it could be true. Why who on earth would release a device with a WiFi broken , having connection problem?umm

• Bugs related to apps or iOS issues which indeed are mentioned and being worked right now on iOS beta 14.2
  • Faulty iPhone. In that case I can simply ask for a replacement

I know iphone SE is the cheapest iphone but something as essential as WiFi can be as broken as it is now. Besides not all iphone SE users have this problem so it could be mine is faulty

who know as for now

I will keep it and then I shall see

my budget doesn’t allow me to purchased and iPhone 11 and even if I could afford I wouldn’t buy any iPhone with top notch and face ID

May 2, 2020 12:16 PM in response to Stephen Pollak

Have you tried the following?

1.Forget wifi network and then reconnect?

• Tap Settings from the Home screen.
    • Tap Wi-Fi.
    • Tap the information icon or blue i located next to the connected network.
    • Tap the option to Forget This Network.
    • Tap Forget to confirm.
    • Restart your iPhone then go back to Settings-> Wi-Fi menu.
    • Scan for available wireless network then tap to select your Wi-Fi network to join or connect to.
    • If prompted, enter the network password to continue.

2.Reset Network Settings?

• Tap Settings from the Home screen.
    • Tap General.
    • Scroll to and tap Reset.
    • Select the option to Reset network settings.
    • If prompted, enter your passcode.
    • Tap Reset Network Settings to confirm.

May 4, 2020 12:23 AM in response to Stephen Pollak

I have similar inconveniences.

I have identified two problems, all values given - D/U [Mb/s]:

1) iPhone SE 2020 has noticeably worse wifi range than my previous iPhone 6s. In the place where 6s connects to my 5GHz network and still reaches 20/4, SE does not detect the network at all. The range on the 2.4GHz band is also worse and shows about one beam less. Sometimes, even close to the access point, a message is displayed saying that the network cannot be connected. This does not happen on any other device (4 iPhones, 2 iPads).

2) iPhone SE 2020 has a problem with the simultaneous use of the 2.4GHz band over wifi and bluetooth. When I turn off bluetooth, the bandwidth increases significantly. For example, near access point it increases from 29/44 to 98/82, far from access point it increases from 8/13 to 23/37.

I have already started regretting this purchase.

My setup is: Mikrotik hEX, UniFi AP-AC-LR

May 23, 2020 6:32 AM in response to mseleem

mseleem wrote:

Zilch Me. Zen but thank you. I did that and tried downloading the update and it's still "Estimating time remaining" for the past 10 minutes or so; t's a problem with the phone itself. Where's Apple's response? The iPhone costs money you know and they must have "something" to say about this!

This is a user to user only forum. Apple doesn't participate here, so you won't see a response from Apple. It's a new phone. You have 90 days free phone support (two years if purchased AppleCare+), so use it and reach out to Apple directly for assistance. If you are in the US, call 1-800-MY-APPLE.

Here are some things I would try before you reach out to Apple:

1. On your phone, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings (make sure you know your Wifi passwords
  2. Reboot your home router (usually, just unplugging it, waiting a minute, then plugging it back in)
  3. Then go to Settings > Wifi and sign back into your router

Jul 15, 2020 12:56 PM in response to Korentas

Korentas wrote:

WiFi on the SE is painfully slow, when it manage to connect at all. Sorry but none of the solutions offered by Mr. Zen worked. Switching bluetooth off doesn't help either.

In the same room we have two Android phones, older and cheaper than the iPhone SE and they connect flawlessly to WiFi.

So, perhaps this invites for a bit of a rant: Maybe if Apple would stop wasting time in stupid things like Animojis and focus their attention on more basic and relevant things like, for instance, getting a decent WiFi signal, then they would stop being kicked in the butt by the competition.

I hear your frustration, but just who is kicking Apple's butt? Here are the top 10 tech companies in the WORLD:

Top 10 Largest Tech Companies In The World

• Apple Inc ($741.6 billion)
  • Alphabet ($367 billion)
  • Microsoft ($340 billion)
  • Oracle ($187 billion)
  • Tencent ($181 billion)
  • Intel ($147 billion)
  • Cisco ($139 billion)
  • IBM ($160 billion)
  • Dell ($74 billion)
  • Sony ($67 billion)

In case you are suggesting Samsung, think again. Here's a longer list.

1. Apple
  2. Alphabet
  3. Microsoft
  4. Tencent
  5. Facebook
  6. Samsung
  7. Intel
  8. Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing
  9. Cisco
  10. Oracle
  11. IBM
  12. NVIDIA
  13. SAP
  14. Adobe
  15. Texas Instruments
  16. Broadcom
  17. Accenture
  18. Tata Consultancy Services
  19. Salesforce
  20. Qualcomm
  21. ASML
  22. Sony
  23. Micron Technology
  24. Applied Materials
  25. Nintendo

Sep 28, 2020 5:01 PM in response to keisim

Keisim I found pretty interesting the results from your research and testing. I purchased an iPhone se two weeks ago. And with the previous iOS I didn’t notice this problems. Once I update it to iOS 14 I started having problems being unable to connect to WiFi or dropping it. Ii decided to:

1. perform a backup on finder
  2. reinstall iOS through finder
  3. restore back up through finder

I can see I loose WiFi a bit less but

• the WiFi signal is still poor
  • if I loose WiFi then I’m unable to connect to it for hours
  • there Is slow browsing

after reading your post I agree with:

• when turning Bluetooth off, WiFi is stable and it has the four bars of the signal without being lowered
  • with 4g there isn’t a problem
  • so as you think, yes there is some conflict between WiFi and bluetooth when having those turn on ( but I need them for my Apple Watch and Mac )

1. I haven’t tried Dfu restore
  2. I haven’t tried restoring from iCloud back up

perhaps I need that

• some customer think it is a hardware problem, but some of them have exchange the iPhone more than twice and still have had the same problem
  • i still think it’s something related to IOS 14

1. Anytime I update through the iPhone settings well mostly I get a bug on the iPhone, so I perform a back up on Mac and then reinstall iOS and that fixes things
  2. after updating to 14.0.1 still the WiFi problem persists

I wonder if you have been able to fix this problem or if you decided to return your device and buy a new one?

I look forward for a reply

thank you

Jul 11, 2020 12:07 AM in response to Stephen Pollak

This data was measured today at Apple Los Gatos, CA store connected to store Wi-Fi.  First set of data, 2:47 PM, taken standing in the queue outside the store.  Second set of data, 3:27 PM, taken in store while working with Genius Bar rep.  In each pair, I first did a speed measurement with Bluetooth turned on.  Then turned off Bluetooth and repeated the measurement.  Consistent result was that Bluetooth turned on caused a significant hit to speed both up and down. 

Genius Bar rep said they had no information of others reporting this problem. I would encourage others to keep reporting this to Apple.

May 2, 2020 4:54 AM in response to Stephen Pollak

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for sharing. I was going crazy looking for information online (or someone with the same problem).

My wife is having the same issue. Just bought one and wifi is slow. We compared it to the old iPhone 7 she was replacing and the SE is about 66% slower. Not a problem with 4G, just wifi.

Apple stores are closed here due to the pandemic, so no genius bar either.

Hopefully someone can provide more insights.

May 4, 2020 9:02 AM in response to Mr.Zen

I have done factory resets, and not copied over data/settings from the prior phone, and other methods.

No improvements whatsoever.

Further, I have found the phone handles 5GHz very poorly.

It's loses the connection where my iPhone6s, iPad, Macs, etc have no problem whatsoever.

Further we have a single integrated network with many wifi access points, and Ethernet.

May 5, 2020 4:23 AM in response to Mr.Zen

I checked another SE 2020 yesterday in my home network. On the 2.4GHz band it works at full speed - D:97 U:100 (144 Tx/Rx rate), regardless of turning bluetooth on/off. Oddly enough, this one was restored from iCloud backup made on iPhone 6s, while my SE was configured from scratch. My today's results at 2,4GHz:

D:34 U:50 with BT on

D:98 U:90 with BT off

I noticed one more symptom related to bluetooth. The sound in BT headphones is occasionally distorted for a short while. This has never happened on my 6s.

May 8, 2020 3:37 AM in response to Stephen Pollak

I had my SE 2020 delivered yesterday. WIFI became painfully slow last night and this morning. Not sure if it’s a coincidence but I switched Bluetooth off and it suddenly sprang back to life. Turned Bluetooth back on and it’s still ok. But Google photos has also been backing up in the background and has just finished. So that could be a reason ?

IPhoneSE 2020 wifi painfully slow??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.