Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel task 2012 iMac 27 i7 3.4Ghz "I Need More Duct Tape"

The LCD fell and broke on 2012 iMac 27. The onboard SSD was showing "Failure" in S.M.A.R.T. status. Reason to open and change the SSD. The 30pin LVDS connector was damaged and sparks and smoke ensued. Damaged LCD, damaged logicboard & SSD kaput. Being resourceful I cleaned up and tested. Three led lights came on the MB (LB). I could get the 4th one to light up but nothing on the LCD. Plugged in the auxiliary monitor and it lit up. Loaded OSX Catalina , new HDD. Chime sound video all good. The system is very slow. The sensor on the LCD panel no longer connects due to damaged LVDS connector and burnt board. Problem, without the sensor the default kernel task kicks in as a software driven CPU cooling method. This and the fan runs at full speed. Now the CPU is at or below normal operating temp and the rest of the iMac seems to be functioning well. Slowed the fan down to normal with "Mac Fans Control". The problem.. Kernel Task is using 84% of the CPU resources, thus throttling back the CPU i7 3770 3.4 ghz. making the iMac very slow and choppy. Is there a work around where the KT can be disabled? Reduced? I see this question raised regularly. I see a lot of broken LCDs on A1419 models. ?? Yes its damaged, badly. I am writing this on that exact 2012 iMac 27. "I need more duct tape"

Posted on May 1, 2020 9:03 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

May 2, 2020 9:58 AM in response to GeorgeHS

Is there a work around where the KT can be disabled?

I don't think your can disable kernel_task as it is very much at the heart of the macOS. As one poster said, "the only way to disable it is to turn off the computer or install Linux or Windows."

This article suggest you can reduce KT's influence by eliminating third-party software interferences. In one example BitDefender was the issue.

https://macsecurity.net/view/264-fix-kernel-task-mac-cpu-usage

Another suggested Flash Player could make it work harder.

I need a drill and hammer and duct tape solution.

In our part of the Pacific NW, this is the preferred computer tool:

EDIT: George wrote:

Hello Apple software developers.. Can we have access to kernel task?

Unfortunately, Apple are not here, We are all end users like you. To get that thought to an Apple development employee, I invite you to use this feedback link.

Feedback - macOS - Apple

May 1, 2020 10:35 PM in response to BDAqua

The sensor in question is on the LCD panel. The LVDS connector is broken and the MB is burnt. The connection between the LCD sensor has been lost due to the damaged connector and burnt damage on the MB (LB). So not the correct sensor. The HDD or SSD sensor is not the problem. Thank you for your reply.

I am looking for a way to disable the kernel-task. KT is the problem. KT throttles down the CPU. I need a drill and hammer and duct tape solution.

May 2, 2020 9:36 AM in response to GeorgeHS

Hello Apple software developers.. Can we have access to kernel task? The ability to edit or disable it. The only purpose is to reduce CPU usage in effect cooling the CPU. When a sensor is missing or buggered , as in my case, the computer becomes slow and choppy because so much of the resources are allocated to KT even though in some instances the components are at or below operating temp. Its not the 90s anymore and fax machine is gathering dust.

May 2, 2020 10:19 AM in response to Allan Jones

The blank stare of the bunny looking into the headlights.. I can hear the reply.. BANI = buy a new iMac. I like baking video cards, soldering with a torch, yards of duct tape, gallons of thermal paste. Any "work around" that Apple would cringe at. Most of my iMac creations under $100. iPhone .. same thing. its a bit humid .. all liquid sensors turn red. Tear those apart too. Funny how other manufacturers went water resistant long before.

I like to send and receive text messages on my Mac. This one thing Apple does better than Microsoft. I do own a Windows phone. It did work somewhat like the Mac OS platform. They bought Nokia and promptly dropped the whole idea. Whatever MS has now is clunky at best. Not user friendly.

Kernel task 2012 iMac 27 i7 3.4Ghz "I Need More Duct Tape"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.