Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"No permission" to open my own files?

I'm the only User, set up as Administrator but repeatedly I get a warning that I can't open a certain file because I have "no permission"? They are all my files! I'm using a MacBook Air February 2015 and a iMac All-in-one less purchased May 2019. Both have the same iiOS system which is up to date and both are on the same network. Today though they are not "talking to each other"

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 2, 2020 11:16 AM

8 replies

May 10, 2020 3:55 AM in response to Old Toad

Hello! Thank you or your replying. However, I tried to do what was suggested but the instruction read "choose Utilities > Terminal" but that wasn't on offer on my MacBook Air. I'm a bit wary of doing stuff like that with my computer because I depend so much on it. I guess I'll just live with taking a copy of the document and renaming it.

May 10, 2020 11:37 AM in response to Old Toad

Nope that window didn't appear but it's okay, Apple this afternoon finally agreed that the HD on my iMac was corrupted - I've been telling them this at least once a month since I bought it in May 2019.

Under their instruction, I did a full deletion of everything on it this afternoon, re-installed the OS and then used the Time Machine Back Up to restore my data. Apple is very confident that this will have resolved all the issues I have had with this iMac, including its unresponsiveness and when I restarted or shut it down, it refused to come back on correctly first time.

Thank you for trying to help.

Jun 18, 2020 2:17 PM in response to Auntie Brenda

I am the only person who uses my iMac. I have always had full admin permission to move files, folders etc around as I pleased. Recently after software update yo macOS Catalina 10.15.5 all my folder access changed. I have already gone into "i" on every folder and file to update privileges for admin to "read/write" however the main folders wouldn't allow the change. System is the only name with "read/write" privileges.

How can I organize my folders if I am not allowed to move them?

I am the "system" technically...because I am the only user. How do I get the "system" to give admin "read/write" privileges?

"No permission" to open my own files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.