Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2009 - iMovie or something like it

I have an old but still very workable iMac 27" (late 2009) that my kids use for all their homework.

I tried to download iMovie but it tells me that the system is not compatible as I need OS 10.14 or later and the highest this system will go is High Sierra 10.13.6.

Is there an older version of iMovie or a different video editing software like iMovie that would work on this machine?

Although old, this machine still works just fine and it would be a waste if I have to purchase a new machine just for low quality video editing that they need due to their remote homework requirements.

Thanking you in advance,

NewImacUser2020 (but old iMac machine...)

Posted on May 3, 2020 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2020 5:57 PM

Did you ever have iMovie 10 on your computer before, but perhaps deleted it? If so you could download the highest iMovie 10 version that you present operating system will run. Unless you have iMovie 10 on your computer now or had it at one time in the past you will not be able to get it now unless you can upgrade to at least Mojave 10.1.14.

You could see if you can buy the old iMovie 6 video program as part of the iLive 6 package on Amazon. iMovie 6 is a great program. It can be a little tricky downloading it on the newer operating systems, but I am running it on Mojave, although I downloaded it when I was running El Capitan I believe.

I am not familiar with any other video editing apps, so am not in a position to make a recommendation. You could check out the online app store and there will be a few video editing software apps listed there that you could look into.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2020 5:57 PM in response to NewImacUser2020

Did you ever have iMovie 10 on your computer before, but perhaps deleted it? If so you could download the highest iMovie 10 version that you present operating system will run. Unless you have iMovie 10 on your computer now or had it at one time in the past you will not be able to get it now unless you can upgrade to at least Mojave 10.1.14.

You could see if you can buy the old iMovie 6 video program as part of the iLive 6 package on Amazon. iMovie 6 is a great program. It can be a little tricky downloading it on the newer operating systems, but I am running it on Mojave, although I downloaded it when I was running El Capitan I believe.

I am not familiar with any other video editing apps, so am not in a position to make a recommendation. You could check out the online app store and there will be a few video editing software apps listed there that you could look into.

-- Rich

iMac 2009 - iMovie or something like it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.