Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI camera live stream INTO MacBook Pro (2018) via USB-C (Thunderbolt 3)

Trying to live stream capture the HDMI output of my Nikon DSLR camera. I need to use the zoom lens of the Nikon for live streaming my video to a Zoom meeting. USB-C is supposedly Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 3 supposedly handles HDMI as INPUT.

I'm connecting the Nikon HDMI port which is working - I sent the video to my HDMI monitor to test. I then plugged the HDMI cable into a HDMI to USB-C adapter on my MB Pro. No external camera is detected on FaceTime or Zoom or iMovie or anything else I tried.

The Nikon camera also has an A/V out via USB. That does not seem to work either, via a USB to USB-C adapter.

I'm hoping to solve this via the right connector because of the Thunderbolt 3 aspect of USB-C. Trying to avoid buying an expensive HDMI to USB-3 video capture box, not knowing if that would even work on the MacBook Pro.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on May 5, 2020 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2020 10:19 AM

rboko wrote:

Trying to live stream capture the HDMI output of my Nikon DSLR camera. I need to use the zoom lens of the Nikon for live streaming my video to a Zoom meeting. USB-C is supposedly Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 3 supposedly handles HDMI as INPUT.

I'm connecting the Nikon HDMI port which is working - I sent the video to my HDMI monitor to test. I then plugged the HDMI cable into a HDMI to USB-C adapter on my MB Pro. No external camera is detected on FaceTime or Zoom or iMovie or anything else I tried.

The Nikon camera also has an A/V out via USB. That does not seem to work either, via a USB to USB-C adapter.

I'm hoping to solve this via the right connector because of the Thunderbolt 3 aspect of USB-C. Trying to avoid buying an expensive HDMI to USB-3 video capture box, not knowing if that would even work on the MacBook Pro.

Connect to HDMI from your Mac - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2020 10:19 AM in response to rboko

rboko wrote:

Connect to HDMI from your Mac - Apple Support

HDMI camera live stream INTO MacBook Pro (2018) via USB-C (Thunderbolt 3)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.