Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 10.5" continually reboots after 13.4.1 update.

Hello all.

Have a 10.5" iPad Pro that reboots every 30-45 seconds when logged in. Even if no apps are running. This started after I updated to 13.4.1. Is it still possible to downgrade? Basically has rendered the iPad useless. Any other suggestions?

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on May 7, 2020 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2020 11:22 AM

I’d try a restore to factory settings. This will wipe the iPad, reset all settings - and, crucially, will install a complete new copy of iPadOS:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201252

If you ensure that you have a current iCloud or iTunes backup before you begin, you’ll be able to optionally restore your locally stored data at the end of the restore process.

I have two iPad’s Pro 10.5”, within immediate reach, that are working flawlessly with iPadOS 13.4.1.

83 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2020 11:22 AM in response to stevep1

I’d try a restore to factory settings. This will wipe the iPad, reset all settings - and, crucially, will install a complete new copy of iPadOS:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201252

If you ensure that you have a current iCloud or iTunes backup before you begin, you’ll be able to optionally restore your locally stored data at the end of the restore process.

I have two iPad’s Pro 10.5”, within immediate reach, that are working flawlessly with iPadOS 13.4.1.

Jun 30, 2020 12:41 PM in response to cafournier

I suggest contacting/reaching out to Apple Product support and services, again!

Tap on the first link below and scroll down some to get to the Apple Product Support section and phone numbers for your location/region.

https://www.apple.com/contact/

OR

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

If you need to, if initial 1st tier Apple customer support is of no help to you, you can calmly ask to have this issue escalated up to more responsible, senior level Apple customer support employees to see if they can come up with a more amiable/amenable solution to this iPad boot loop issue, but I make no guarantees, whatsoever.

You can escalate this issue all the way up to Apple engineering level support, if need be.

Even if no acceptable resolution, Apple, AT LEAST, logs all support calls and issues.

Best of Luck to You!

May 16, 2020 3:33 AM in response to wbzipf

We’re rather short of any information that isolates the probable cause - such as the App running in foreground, or the Apps that are currently suspended (i.e., are visible in the App Switcher).

If having restored iPadOS (either full restore or DFU) the problem persists, perhaps the issue is not with iPadOS, but is instead an installed App. These may have to be systematically eliminated, perhaps by starting afresh and adding Apps singly until the reboot problem becomes apparent. Please remember, unless stripped-down to its basic configuration, no two iPads will ever be completely the same; your combination of Settings and installed Apps will be different from almost everybody else.

Try force-closing all Apps, force-restart the iPad, then observe the behaviour of the iPad. If the iPad is stable, open one App - and see what happens.

To force-close App, open the Task Switcher by swiping-up from the bottom of the screen - and briefly pause, before lifting your finger, to expose the currently open Apps. Swipe each App off the top of the screen.

When all Apps have been force-closed, force-restart the iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

May 18, 2020 3:05 AM in response to wbzipf

Yes...

I request that all experiencing this issue provide/confirm the following information from Settings > About:

• Software Version (e.g., 13.4.1) and
  • Software Build No. (e.g., 17D262) (to reveal the Build No - tap the Software Version field)

• Full Model Number (e.g. MPME2A/A) and
  • Model Version (e.g., A1709) (to reveal the Version - tap the Model Number field)

This information is sought from owners so as to help identify any commonality between users iPads that are spontaneously rebooting.

In context of the Software Build No. it wouldn’t be the first time that Apple have updated a ‘build” release, but kept the same Software Version number. (NB: the examples in this request for information do not correspond with actual build versions).

Jun 3, 2020 11:51 AM in response to stevep1

Thanks Steve.

I have similar issue on iPad Air 2 since it was updated to 13.4.1, i tried all different suggestion from restoring to factory settings and also tried a new install of 13.5 but it did not work.

The only thing i have managed is to reduce reboot frequency from every few mins to few hours. I have done the following changes.

• General > Date & Time - Turn off set automatically.
  • Turn off Notification for all apps.
  • Turn off bluebooth
  • Turn off background refresh.

Thanks

Bhavesh

May 12, 2020 8:21 PM in response to Pariso

Did a complete factory restore in DFU mode. New IOS load and new firmware. No apps, photos, music, or any other personalization installed. Couldn’t even get through the initial setup without the iPad rebooting. Previously did all of the other online suggestions as well (reset SIM card, manually set time to a previous date, shut off cellular connection...you name it. 13.4.1 literally killed my iPad. Apple, please help. This is simply unacceptable. Note that we have Sprint service. Unique to Sprint-configured machines???

May 13, 2020 2:16 AM in response to Pariso

If you have reinstalled iPadOS via DFU - and the problem persists - you very likely have a hardware fault that cannot be resolved without repair intervention. You should contact Apple Support for advice and further assistance.

During these extraordinary times, the quickest and simplest route to contact Apple is to use the Contact Support link at top-right of this page.

May 16, 2020 2:43 AM in response to Pariso

Yeah, I have had the exact same issue. Like the rest of you it occurred after iOS 13.4.3 (or what ever the most recent) installed. I have gone through everything, including DFU. Nothing helped. I did go ahead and download iOS 13.5 beta (which apparently Apple is rushing to get to market). Unfortunately I am experiencing only a slight improvement, in that I can now occasionally get 10 min before the iPad resorts to restarting every 45-90 seconds.

iPad Pro 10.5" continually reboots after 13.4.1 update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.