Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime bummer

HI everyone

I have several friends with iphones that i cannot facetime video

We have confirmed that their facetime is on and enabled.

I do have the numbers and email addresses affiliated with their accounts stored

i am able to facetime video them via my iphone

If they initiate a Facetime video call to me i am able to answer and it works, i can then recall them from my facetime history, however i cannot initiate a new facetime video call with someone who has not all ready called me in the past.

I have turned facetime on and off, all that has succeeded in doing is turning the one contact that i was able to call into one that i now am not able to call.

The device is an ipad pro 11" purchased in 2019

I am at a complete loss as to the reason this isnt working.

please help

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on May 10, 2020 12:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 2:12 AM

After frustratedly pacing up and down cursing the apple gods with terrible blasphemous thoughts,

the problem seems to have solved itself. .

They all magically just started working.

and that is it i guess folks. Miracles are apparently a thing now

Similar questions

4 replies

May 10, 2020 1:03 AM in response to g1mme

Sometimes Apple's clearance server gets confused with telephone number formatting. I recommend that you always register Contacts phone numbers in E.164 format (international format). You don't say what country you[r contacts] are in, so I will use Great Britain as an example.

If your contact's phone number is 07123 456789, change it to +447123456789. Your phone will properly space it out into +44 7123 456789. This will prevent Apple from erroneously searching for 07123 456789 in the wrong country -- and failing to find your friend.

If this explanation wasn't clear, just reply with the country or countries you care about and I will give you more information.

Good luck.

May 10, 2020 1:15 AM in response to Shichimi

Hi there Shichimi

I have used both the international dialing format as well as the local dialing format when i was troubleshooting the problem.

I have also tried using only email addresses which doesn't work either

I have also just noticed an option that called "calls from phone"

If i have that disabled then the ipad is effectively bricked when it comes to using facetime. it does not allow audio or video calls even though i am connected to the wifi at home.

Thank you for your suggestion though. I appreciate it.

Facetime bummer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.