Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Photos need to be open to download your photos once you've selected "Download Originals to this Mac"? Or does it happen in the background like scanning photos?

Does Photos need to be open to download your photos once you've selected "Download Originals to this Mac"? Or does it happen in the background like scanning photos? I need to download the originals so that I can unsync iCloud as I've run out of space, so the quickest way to do this would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 11, 2020 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 6:14 AM

In Photos 4 on Mojave it helped to force the download by collecting all photos in an album. Then ctrl-clicking the album in the sidebar and use the command "Download originals to this Mac".

This will start the download for all photos in this album immediately while Photos is open.

If we do not urge Photos to start the download, it will just download and keep all photos we have been browsing and take its time over downloading additional photos.

The useful "Download" option for selected albums is unfortunately no longer available in Photos 5 on Catalina. On Catalina keep the mac connected to power and disable the energy saver to keep the mac awake. It is not documented by Apple if it will be faster in the background or with Photos being open. I have noticed no difference. There is no indication, if the download has finished.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2020 6:14 AM in response to paintthesky

In Photos 4 on Mojave it helped to force the download by collecting all photos in an album. Then ctrl-clicking the album in the sidebar and use the command "Download originals to this Mac".

This will start the download for all photos in this album immediately while Photos is open.

If we do not urge Photos to start the download, it will just download and keep all photos we have been browsing and take its time over downloading additional photos.

The useful "Download" option for selected albums is unfortunately no longer available in Photos 5 on Catalina. On Catalina keep the mac connected to power and disable the energy saver to keep the mac awake. It is not documented by Apple if it will be faster in the background or with Photos being open. I have noticed no difference. There is no indication, if the download has finished.

Does Photos need to be open to download your photos once you've selected "Download Originals to this Mac"? Or does it happen in the background like scanning photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.