You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[HELP!] 5Ghz Wifi Driver for Bootcamp Windows 7 (Macbook Pro 13" 2015)

Hi,

I am running Windows 7 64 bit on my Macbook Pro 13'' 2015 and have experimented with numerous drivers but am unable to find one that enables me to connect to the 5Ghz band on my router.

The 2.4Ghz connection is consistent and quite stable except for certain areas of the house where a 5Ghz signal would be optimal. I have a fibre optics plan and have been extremely frustrated by this driver induced bottleneck. When connecting over WiFi, my other mobile devices easily reach speeds of just over 300 mb/s whereas my Macbook does not even reach 100 mb/s in the same locations.

Please can somebody point me to the correct driver so I can enjoy the speeds I've paid for. I've read every guide I could find and have tried uninstalling and reinstalling sooo many Broadcom drivers to no avail (though this DID cause the name of the device in device manager to change to "...Full Dongle Adapter #8" at one point though now it's "#3"??; might need some help with cleaning up the registry as reinstalling does not fix this naming convention).

None of the drivers I've tried have the supposed "5Ghz preferred band" setting in advanced properties. I've tweaked and tweaked and tweaked settings of several different Broadcom drivers but have experienced no change other than at one point not being able to see my network at all!

See attached screenshot (below) for info. Current driver I'm running is "1.400.87.0 (26 Nov 2015)".

I'm at the end of my tether with this issue and will be supremely grateful to anyone who can help.

Many thanks.

---

Additional info:

• Chip is BCM94360CS (Broadcom; 100% capable of 5Ghz connections)
  • WiFi router is Google Wifi (mesh); 2 nodes; 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are combined on one SSID
  • Other than one unidentified PCIE and one Portable Device in Device Manager, all other devices are operational; Windows 7 runs perfectly save for the slow WiFi
  • My desktop achieves the expected speeds of over 900 mb/s download and upload via ethernet connection (so the ISP is not the issue)
  • I reached out to Broadcom directly for a driver but they told me to ask the manufacturer (ie Apple)

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on May 14, 2020 7:43 AM

Similar questions

36 replies

May 16, 2020 11:47 AM in response to MFLW

On a 2013 15-in rMBP, the PID is 0x134. The drivers package is Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5640, with the following

Post Date: Feb 11, 2014

File Size: 925.6 MB

System Requirements 

• MacBook Air (11-inch & 13-inch, Early 2014)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch & 15-inch, Mid 2014)
  • MacBook Air (11-inch & 13-inch, Mid 2013)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch & 15-inch, Late 2013)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • iMac (21.5-inch & 27-inch, Late 2013) 
  • Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1, 64 bit

Can you try the Broadcom drivers from this package? You may want to remove all Broadcom drivers, uninstall the card, and cleanup the DrvStore using pnputil.exe before you try to install this one. 

May 14, 2020 7:51 AM in response to MFLW

• Do you get proper performance when booted in macOS?
  • The driver version seems to be incorrect. You can verify the original driver version supplied by Bootcamp. When Booted in macOS, run BC Assistant -> Action -> Download and check Bootcamp.xml for the version that was supplied by Bootcamp. You should have 7.35.x.x drivers.
  • Has any hardware been modified on this Mac?

May 18, 2020 6:03 AM in response to MFLW

Wireshark should not impact the Windows speeds, so your experience is very interesting.

• Acrylic WiFi should show the channel on which the Client connects to the SSID
  • A Mac (or a PC) which can capture packets over-the-air from the channel used by the SSID is used
  • The packets can be analyzed on the connection negotiations
  • In your SSID list, you are showing only channels 1 and 11. Can you check the macOS side and verify the channel used for the 5gHz channel?

May 14, 2020 8:06 AM in response to Loner T

Hi,

Thank you for your prompt response!

Yes, I get proper speeds in OSX (just checked and it's 5 times my Windows speeds from the same spot).

I tried your suggestion of verifying the original drivers but it seems like the assistant isn't properly set up? I can't proceed when I press continue and the action does not say "download and check Bootcamp..." but only "download support software". I've attached 2 screenshots below.

As for hardware, nothing has been modified.

---

As an aside, thank you very much for your help Loner T! I feel almost honoured lol, since out of the countless guides and forum posts I've read, I remember your name quite distinctly! I hope we can solve this annoying problem.

May 15, 2020 8:40 AM in response to Loner T

Tried the drivers but no dice.

Running the exes did not work and so I tried installing the .inf files manually after unzipping. Chose the ac and multiband drivers from a list for the Win7 and WinLegacy drivers respectively.

Both give me error code 10.

The settings for both drivers did, however, contain a band preference option. Is the listed setting the same as a 5 Ghz preference though?

In any event it did not work and I could find no networks.

Also, when trying to reinstall the driver that was working on 2.4Ghz before so that I could post these results, I came across one that I had been intending to try but did not work for another reason:

Anyhow, what's the next step? Below is the prompt from installing the one that was working on 2.4Ghz. Does the slight difference in the name between all these drivers mean anything (ie the emphasis on "Wireless PCIE Full Dongle Adapter" for the one that does work)?

May 17, 2020 12:03 AM in response to Loner T

Downloaded the package, uninstalled all Broadcom drivers (including bluetooth ones), checked for any remaining files but found none. Uninstalled the network controller from device manager and tried running the exes in the package.

Both win7 64 bit and legacy exes ran but immediately gave a prompt saying it wasn't installed correctly. Still unidentified in device manager.

Thus, I tried installing manually by forcing the infs but both gave error code 10 when I picked the 8011.n driver.

Reverted back to my system restore so I could make this post.

May 17, 2020 9:10 AM in response to Loner T

I tried messing around with the 5.1.5621 drivers but they gave error code 10 as well. Upon reverting back to my 802.11ac driver however, I kept the property dialog box open from the old driver.

This Frankenstein driver effect occurs and permanently changes the settings:

Wayy more options to fiddle with but not sure if it actually does something. These additional settings have been permanently incorporated even when closing and re-opening properties from device manager.

The 802.11ac driver in comparision only had around 7 options.

I've messed around with this before to similar effect but haven't noticed any significant change in speed. Are there any options in particular that I should try changing?

May 17, 2020 9:14 AM in response to MFLW

Aha!

The settings DO affect the card. I disabled the g/b bands and immediately disconnected from my wifi, which is no longer discoverable!

I can still, however, see my neighbour's wifi...possibly meaning there is no "a" channel on mine???

Disabling the a band or setting it to off restores my connection.

Anything I can tweak or do?

May 17, 2020 11:41 PM in response to Loner T

I just downloaded both Acrylic and Wireshark. Don't really know how to use either nor what I'm looking for but it seems I need a license to access Monitor Mode in Acrylic for beacon info. Still, this is what I could see.

Noticed that the max speed is quite low for some reason even though I got wayy more than those speeds in MacOs and on other devices.

---

I'm not sure how to use Wireshark; can you please let me know what I should be looking for? All I see is what I think is the network traffic? An ever-adding list. Not sure how to access beacon info.

May 18, 2020 12:56 AM in response to MFLW

Wireshark completely wrecked my computer. After restarting and resetting network settings in cmd still couldn't get any internet access.

Finally, had to use an automatic system restore (seems windows knew it would mess things up) and was able to connect.

At the start, I got the following error message before things seemed to work.

When the test did work however, speeds were abysmal and EXTREMELY unstable. I tested over and over again, getting wildly different results over the course of an hour.

Finally, I decided to look for any remaining Wireshark files to exterminate.

Uninstalled everything in the list (even though it was technically disabled by system restore), including NPCap aspects, and voila, back to my stable speeds.

Acrylic is still installed and doesn't seem to have affected anything but man did Wireshark cause so much pain and suffering. Will avoid it like the plague from now on...

May 18, 2020 8:40 AM in response to Loner T

Here's what I found in MacOS

What's weird is that when I first booted into MacOS and ran a speedtest, I was getting about the same but slightly worse than Windows! Also got the same socket error a couple times. Turning off the wifi and turning it back on again on my mac fixed the problem immediately and within seconds I had increased my speed about 7 times.

May 14, 2020 1:33 PM in response to Loner T

It was quite tricky to get up and running but I have indeed managed to install Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro 2015. I needed it specifically for some nit picky business applications (compatibility issues with Windows 10). It was a painful process but was ultimately worth it.

Model is 13 inch Retina (Early 2015).

Should I download "version 5" of the support software? I noticed the drivers only go up to 2014 and want to confirm whether such WiFi drivers had support for 5Ghz?

As stated above, my chip is BCM94360CS if that's of any help.

[HELP!] 5Ghz Wifi Driver for Bootcamp Windows 7 (Macbook Pro 13" 2015)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.