Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Project Saved as MP4 won't play on QuickTime

Hello!

I created a 16:22 min video on my imovie and saved it both in computer and external drive. However, it won't play and the file saved looks like this:

And when I try to play it, it says:

I have watched videos (Y2020 versions) on how to properly save an imovie. I followed them step by step but getting the same result and won't play. I wonder if I could even upload this.

I also downloaded VLC app in my computer hoping to play the video, but it won't either.

Please help! Thanks so much in advance!!!

Posted on May 15, 2020 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2020 4:28 PM

The three folders on the right are temporary files and won't play anywhere. . They exist only to help iMovie with the rendering, and will disappear shortly after the project completes its rendering to a final movie.

The mpeg4 file looks like a finalized file, but the existence of the temporary files could indicate that the rendering has not been completed. In that case, it wouldn't play. I would try to re-render the project and wait until the full rendering has been completed and the temporary files disappear.

-- Rich

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2020 4:28 PM in response to jollasr

The three folders on the right are temporary files and won't play anywhere. . They exist only to help iMovie with the rendering, and will disappear shortly after the project completes its rendering to a final movie.

The mpeg4 file looks like a finalized file, but the existence of the temporary files could indicate that the rendering has not been completed. In that case, it wouldn't play. I would try to re-render the project and wait until the full rendering has been completed and the temporary files disappear.

-- Rich

May 15, 2020 10:44 PM in response to jollasr

Looks like a format issue.

Try converting the movie to Mp4/AAC, even if it is already that, with the free download Handbrake. You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

Open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source and then navigate to your video in the screen that pops up. Choose your video by clicking on it. Then do File/Start Encoding. Then try playing the movie in QuickTimePlayer.

— Rich

May 16, 2020 2:52 PM in response to jollasr

Since the video will not play on Quicktime and VLC, and won't even show as a valid source on Handbrake, then the file is fatally corrupted. Try creating a new library, transferring your project into it, and then re-sharing the project. Or better yet, recreate the project and share it out.

If the above does not work, you might benefit from contacting Apple Support and talking with the savvy techs there. They have the capability of remotely accessing your computer, that we cannot do here. Click on the Contact Support icon in the upper right of this forum's screen and navigate to a place where you can input your phone number to have Support call you back.

-- Rich

iMovie Project Saved as MP4 won't play on QuickTime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.