Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My New Imac running slow (bought it last week) not many apps inside

I did the EtreCheck report, and it said that my hard drive is failing. Could you help with this, please?

Because it's brand new and I don't have a lot of apps.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 16, 2020 4:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2020 5:17 AM

FWiW, although anything is possible, one week seems too soon for a hard drive to fail. It may be that OneDrive is bogging things down. 8GBs is about the minimum amount of RAM to run Catalina and apps like Photoshop Elements 2020. I would return it and if you can, exchange it for one with 16GBs and an SSD.

If you do decide to return it, you should go through these steps before returning it.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2020 5:17 AM in response to venessa128

FWiW, although anything is possible, one week seems too soon for a hard drive to fail. It may be that OneDrive is bogging things down. 8GBs is about the minimum amount of RAM to run Catalina and apps like Photoshop Elements 2020. I would return it and if you can, exchange it for one with 16GBs and an SSD.

If you do decide to return it, you should go through these steps before returning it.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

May 16, 2020 10:55 AM in response to venessa128

Hardware Information:
iMac (21.5-inch, 2017)

That doesn't sounds "new" to me. Is it a refurb you bought directly from Apple? If so, return it and buy a more capable sub-model.

This is the very most "entry-level" model possible that year. It is fine for email, casual browsing and word processing , but NOT for Creative Suite. The next model up has a quad-core 15 and discrete graphics, not the cheaper integrated gfx option. Here are benchmarking data from the MacTracker database:

For Creative Suite I recommend the quad-core i5 or better, no less than 16GB RAM, and ONLY the solid-date drive storage option.

May 16, 2020 9:36 AM in response to venessa128

Etrecheck is almost certainly wrong about the failing hard drive*, but you should return the computer anyway. The entry level machine is completely inappropriate if you are trying to run photoshop.

*The failing hard drive notice is generated automatically if an HDD is installed and the Etrecheck takes more than X amount of time to run the test. In your case you are trying to run Adobe Cloud, Microsoft One Drive, Safari, Apple Music and more all at the same time with 8GB RAM off an 5400rpm drive... which is a problem.

For Adobe Cloud you really a faster drive, more memory, and probably a better CPU.

You should probably also get an external drive to use as a time machine backup. Even with cloud storage having a local backup is a good idea.

May 16, 2020 11:08 AM in response to venessa128

Additionally, if you just bought it from Apple, you ahve 14 days to return it no questions asked.

I would suggest you do that because your iMac will never be fast - it has a super slow 5400 rpm spinning drive which works at a snail's speed. Get one with an SSD instead.

And, since you only have the minimum 8 GB RAM, might as well get 16 GB RAM which will give you some breathing room running Adobe.

My New Imac running slow (bought it last week) not many apps inside

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.