Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't buy music in the Catalina Music Store...?

I just spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out how to buy (not rent) an album in the Catalina Music Store. Nowhere could I find the price of the album or tracks, just a persistent offer to try Apple Music. There was no 'Buy' button anywhere. Finally, I just went to a Windows PC and bought the album in the old iTunes Music Store.

This is really annoying. I need actual tracks because I'm in a rural area, and can't depend on a cell signal to listen to a streaming service. I'm glad I have the Windows option, but it's stupid that I can't buy music on Apple's own hardware.

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 16, 2020 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2020 9:33 AM

In the Music app in Catalina you can see prices and buy music from the iTunes Store.

Click iTunes Store in the left sidebar.

You can also search for music to buy by clicking in the search box at the top of the sidebar and then click iTunes Store at the top right of the main window.

If iTunes Store isn't an option in the sidebar, click Preferences > General and then put a check mark in front of Show iTunes Store.

Also see instructions in the iTunes Store section of Add and download music from Apple Music or buy music from the iTunes Store - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2020 9:33 AM in response to Eric Volker

In the Music app in Catalina you can see prices and buy music from the iTunes Store.

Click iTunes Store in the left sidebar.

You can also search for music to buy by clicking in the search box at the top of the sidebar and then click iTunes Store at the top right of the main window.

If iTunes Store isn't an option in the sidebar, click Preferences > General and then put a check mark in front of Show iTunes Store.

Also see instructions in the iTunes Store section of Add and download music from Apple Music or buy music from the iTunes Store - Apple Support

May 16, 2020 2:00 PM in response to FoxFifth

Where I was going wrong was that I was clicking on iTunes Store in the sidebar (Item 1 in image below), then clicking on Search and entering the artist (at #2) thinking that was sufficient to put me in the "iTunes Store" and search for something to buy. It seems that I also need to click "iTunes Store" a second time in the upper right (at item #3 in the screenshot) to actually get purchasable results.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd think selecting iTunes Store once should be sufficient to get you to the right place to search for something to buy.

Anyway, thanks for the solution.

Can't buy music in the Catalina Music Store...?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.