Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri not working on WiFi but works on Cellular

Is this happening to anyone else? This issue just popped up out of the blue. I have the same Internet set-up I’ve had for the last year and a half and I have not changed anything.

Siri won’t work on my Wi-Fi connection but will work on my cellular connection. It’s happening across all my devices and I can’t do Apple TV dictation searches at all because Apple TV relies solely on Wi-Fi connection like doing a search for a specific movie or actor.

It’s weird for example: If I do a search with Siri on my iPhone asking it “what is tendinitis” it works fine over cellular connection but when I switch over to WiFi and ask the exact same question it says “Sorry, somethings wrong. Please try again.” I know it’s isolated to just Siri because on Wi-Fi when I do a search using Safari or Google Chrome it works fine; it only happens when doing a Siri query.

Does anyone know what’s going on; or have heard of this? Please help.

Apple TV HD, tvOS 13

Posted on May 20, 2020 7:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2020 7:18 AM

Connecting to Wifi is first part and then getting connected to Internet is the second

1. If you are connected to a Wifi, doesn't necessarily mean you are connected to internet. If you are not connected to wifi could be a problem of iPhone settings or Router/Modem Settings
  2. If you are not connected to internet is the sole issue of Router / Modem Settings. Contact you ISP immediately

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2020 7:18 AM in response to jesseuriah

Connecting to Wifi is first part and then getting connected to Internet is the second

1. If you are connected to a Wifi, doesn't necessarily mean you are connected to internet. If you are not connected to wifi could be a problem of iPhone settings or Router/Modem Settings
  2. If you are not connected to internet is the sole issue of Router / Modem Settings. Contact you ISP immediately

May 20, 2020 7:29 AM in response to SravanKrA

I already contacted my Internet service provider and spent almost 2 hours on the phone with them troubleshooting; they said that there’s nothing wrong with my Internet connection. It’s not a modem/router problem.

I don’t have a static IP address, residential customers don’t have static IP addresses. Nothing wrong with any kind of port setting or anything like that. It also doesn’t explain why out of the blue it was working fine and then it just all the sudden stopped. I know that it’s just Siri because when I do a Google search on Wi-Fi using Chrome or Safari it works just fine there’s no other internet problems, it’s just Siri responding to a query over WiFi.

Jun 11, 2020 8:17 AM in response to natlanzatella

For me it just self resolved after dealing with it for over a week. I tried reaching out for a solution to apple and to my cable company. The only thing I did come to find through process of elimination; it was nothing to do with my internet provider or equipment. So unfortunately I don’t have a solution because it started working again just like the problem started; out of the blue. It took a while though and was super annoying and Apple never got back to me when I opened a case with a senior advisor.

Jun 11, 2020 9:13 AM in response to jesseuriah

Well, misery loves company. I have the exact same issue. As with you, nothing's changed in my ISP or modem settings. It just started happening out of the blue and is affecting my iPhone, HomePod and my MBA. When I switch my iPhone to Cellular, Siri works fine. When I connect my MBA to my iPhone as a hot spot, Siri works fine. As soon as I switch back to my normal home Wifi, Siri won't work again.

After trying several things myself, I first contacted my ISP and they told me nothing had changed on their end. I thought it may be some kind of proxy blocking Siri but they said they had none in place. I then contacted Apple but they weren't much help. I was told to make sure my ISP isn't blocking ports 443 & 5228. I received a case number but am hoping it'll just clear up on its own like it did for the OP.

Siri not working on WiFi but works on Cellular

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.