Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook G3 Unlock Kit

Ok, so I made a “kit” to bypass the iBook G3 Snow password. Want to update it to OSX Tiger and bypass the OS 9.2.2 Password. It is NOT on OSX. Anyways, I had it all setup! When I put the CD into the disc drive (it is a OSX Cheetah CD, I couldn’t find an OS9 ISO.), The computer doesn’t recognize it when i press and hold C while restarting. I remember it worked ONCE and the disc showed up on the screen next to the drive, and I clicked on the drive, meant to click on the disc. That disc broke. Had to make another. So frustrating because I have tried EVERY single password and combination, and the disc solution doesn’t work! And the FireWire will not fit into my MacBookPro (Early 2011!) I just want to get into the iBook G3 Snow, go past the password, and upgrade it to OS X Tiger! Been trying for FOUR months! I give up! What do I do!

Thanks SO MUCH!

Christianreal

iBook

Posted on May 20, 2020 11:21 AM

Similar questions

58 replies

May 23, 2020 2:18 PM in response to Christian_Grenier

There are hints and places online to read.

(And there are no G5 possibilities in older series Mac.)

How to find your Mac's model and age? - Apple Community

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6413

Recent articles on iMac (example) shows only back to 2009 build year model.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1772 - iBook

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp96 and http://support.apple.com/kb/sp37 - PowerMac G5

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA25585 and http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3082 - PowerMac G4

The technology would need to be further researched in Everymac and other sites with Archives.

Haven't time to deal with this and much offline to try & accomplish, too.

Hopefully someone with a good vintage background could look and add advice on reading this

discussion; to add or tweak it as required. Also you need to be clear on what you're doing, & why.

Some 'upgrade ideas' are truly not do-able; or physically and otherwise, impossible.

Apple Support and these discussions are somewhat searchable; sometimes you need to look via

google or main search engine, other times, duckduckgo does OK.

Going offline again. Take care & good luck! 😊

PS: certain blank media may be well beyond a built in CD drive, to read and use.

Some read-write or re-writeable does not work. Some external drives can be OK.

(Firewire, where ports and software are compatible can be a bridge forward.)

Jun 7, 2020 4:35 PM in response to Christian_Grenier

7410 was a great G4 chip, vast improvement over 7400. :)

System requirements[edit]

Apple states the following basic Leopard system requirements, although, for some specific applications and features (such as iChat backdrops) an Intel processor is required:[61]

• Processor: any Intel processor, or PowerPC G5 or G4 (867 MHz and faster) processor
  • Optical drive: internal or external DVD drive (for installation of the operating system)
  • Memory: minimum 512 MB of RAM (additional RAM (1 GB) is recommended for development purposes)
  • Hard drive capacity: Minimum 9 GB of disk space available.

May 21, 2020 8:55 AM in response to BDAqua

Oh my gosh! The OS 9.2.2 did burn. I was going to insert it when I realized I had an OSX Cheetah disc in the disc drive. I decided to disable extensions by holding X when I restart! THE WEIRDEST THIND HAPPENED! It just booted up to OS X 10.0.3 Cheetah and loaded, and it had all the applications intact- It just updated itself and I didn’t even have to do it manually? I decided to go into the “System Folder” and deleted Multi-User Prefs! So I got the password bypassed- But I have NO idea why it just updated itself randomly!! So weird but at least it bypassed the password! So crazy! Added a picture at the bottom. There is one weird glitch? None of the OSX applications are there, not even Terminal. And some of the applications show a question mark symbol ( ? ) I think it is because I disabled extensions. I just can’t figure out how to RE enable them. I am so confused and shocked? Does this happen or was it some glitch?

Sorry if I’m all over the place, I am just so shocked! It updated itself from OS 9.2.2 to OSX 10.0.3 without me having to register it and set it up?

Now how do I re enable extensions?

Thanks so much, Christianreal

May 21, 2020 7:08 PM in response to K Shaffer

Ah, I have no idea what drivers are installed. When I “installed” OSX it did not make me configure anything 🤷🏽‍♂️..

It was my mom’s old laptop for teaching. It seem weird though, because when it boots up, it looks almost like OS 9 with the grey pixelated screen, and then all of a sudden it flickers blue and OS X boots up? What if i deleted the Classic Enviroment (OS9)? I just don’t know why the OSX is so..blank? All of the applications are OS9 and require me to run the classic environment? So this was because of the drivers? Or could it have been a bad ISO? Pictures below. Tried to get a shot of the loading screen, but the file is too big.

And quick question, Can I go STRAIGHT to Tiger (if I were to..), or do I have to go update every OSX in order?

Thanks, Christianreal

May 21, 2020 9:15 PM in response to BDAqua

True. It only has the Classic OS 9

Internet Explorer 5, Super old, but fast. I will download iCab and see if that works. Maybe I can just build up the laptop with “substitute apps” instead of reinstalling. I just found out that Safari 1.0 comes with Panther. Says you can get the Beta on Jaguar, that’s the oldest. It’s probably better than the Internet Explorer 5... I guess I will buy an OS disc or a repair one since mine is having various issues, unless I can find another CD. Weird because I looked inside the files and I didn’t even see a terminal.app.. So weird. Thanks!!

Google in Internet Explorer works which is good. Actually as fast as Google Chrome (probably because it’s on Ethernet, but yes it CANNOT connect to some sites.)

May 22, 2020 8:28 PM in response to Christian_Grenier

Most of these cannot see hardware upgraded at the logic board level.

These lower end Macs, unlike production towers; had fewer options.

What is the configuration specification of the iBook's logic board?

An upward limit on system upgrade is figured by hardware specs.

The CPU is fixed; so is the GPU. Certain speeds are built into HW.

Few could see CPU/GPU upgrade, w/ portable models. Few desktops

had the upgrade path built into them; rarely superseded these.

And the limits on hardware and software update/upgrade, are published.

The progression from system to system can be limited;

Study the question, which 'build model year' hardware can use what level

of Mac OS; then what you'd need to run required software. Reasonably.

Research what you expect from these older units; plan to leave them at

best last stage. ~ If the job/project is worth it. The tool, equal to the job.

Everymac.com site, Mactracker.ca database app, Lowend.mac site and other

sources of info can be very helpful. Don't spend a lot on dead-ends unless

there may be an upside to this. Restoring rare models with their OS, can be.

For each word here, I've written four others; then removed them!

Near seven-thirty PM here, in AK. Need to do other things.

May 23, 2020 5:19 PM in response to BDAqua

Multiple edits below:

I didn’t even get to the install screen yet. My iBook does not let me boot from CD? Honestly, I have given up on this PowerPC. I’m installing Tiger (attempting) right now. Hope it works and doesn’t get that same glitch. I guess I will keep trying. Thanks all and enjoy the fresh air in the yard 😌 🤞🏽 🌱

Edit:

Wait.... it DID boot from the CD! I have no idea why it decides to work this time...... I will keep trying.

EDIT 2: Wait! Oh my gosh... The Tiger installation tells me to RESTART. I did. Didn’t give me an error but Tiger doesn’t boot up when I restart.... Kernel panic?

Jun 2, 2020 12:45 PM in response to Christian_Grenier

Those discs in eBay ad, might be either PPC or Intel Tiger.

Research is best done before you buy them. Some sellers

do not accept returns after the auction/sale has closed.

From mactracker database app:

• 10.4.8 (PowerPC) 8L127 - September 29, 2006

• 10.4.8 (Intel) 8L2127 - September 29, 2006

(from ebay: image 2007 label copyright, is indefinite)

If your iBook has DVD drive, and you get Retail Label 10.4 discs

for PPC, you may be OK. ~ IF iBook has seen Firmware update.

The Mac may balk at upgrade to later OS X, if FW was not done.

Black screen + other symptoms could affect a mac w/o FW update

Good luck & happy trails!🌤☘

Jun 3, 2020 11:32 AM in response to K Shaffer

Okay! I just ordered the OS X Tiger Retail Version in the original box with iWork 06.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133388472444

Seems like a really good deal, especially because the seller sent me an offer, and I am covered by the eBay money back guarantee. It is the DVD version, so I will install via MacBook Pro when my FireWire arrives! Yay!

May 20, 2020 2:00 PM in response to QuickPost

Yes! Sorry. I have an iBook G3 Dual USB SNOW. It is on OS 9.2.2. I want to bypass the password lock. So, I made a OSX Cheetah disc and was going to use that to upgrade it, and then be able to bypass the password via Terminal. Another reason for using Cheetah instead of an OS9 Disc was because I couldn’t find an OS9 ISO. I just want to bypass the password lock. I have also tried FireWire, but the small end (4 pin??) Doesn’t fit in the Macbook for Target Disc Mode (picture below.

May 20, 2020 7:24 PM in response to Christian_Grenier

There had been a few that seemed to conditionally work; I've

not tried these, while mistakenly gave away an official 9.2.2 CD.

(With my PM B&W G3-350 complete kit; & accessories, v.g. shape.)

..You may see a workable item 'among very obsolete' stuff here..

File 9.2.2 looks plausible; but I've nothing to test it on/in anymore!

Good luck & happy trails!🌻🌤

May 21, 2020 10:16 AM in response to Christian_Grenier

Apple Boot Key Combos:

Bypass startup drive and boot from external (or CD).... CMD-OPT-SHIFT-DELETE

Boot from CD (Most late model Apples) ................. C

Boot from a specific SCSI ID #.(#=SCSI ID number)...... CMD-OPT-SHIFT-DELETE-#

Zap PRAM .............................................. CMD-OPT-P-R

Disable Extensions .................................... SHIFT

Rebuild Desktop ....................................... CMD-OPT

Close finder windows.(hold just before finder starts).. OPT

Boot with Virtual Memory off........................... CMD

Trigger extension manager at boot-up................... SPACE

Force Quadra av machines to use TV as a monitor........ CMD-OPT-T-V

Boot from ROM (Mac Classic only)....................... CMD-OPT-X-O

Force PowerBooks to reset the screen................... R

Force an AV monitor to be recognized as one............ CMD-OPT-A-V

Eject Boot Floppy...................................... Hold Down Mouse Button

Select volume to start from............................ OPT

Start in Firewire drive mode........................... T

Startup in OSX if OS9 and OXS in boot partition........ X or CMD-X

Hold down until the 2nd chime, will boot into 9?....... CMD-OPT

OSX: Watch the status of the system load............... CMD-V

OSX: Enter single-user mode (shell-level mode)......... CMD-S

iBook G3 Unlock Kit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.