Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

eGPU crashes my macbook pro when plugged in

Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) running MacOS Catalina V. 10.15.4.

I just got an AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT GPU and a Razer Core X enclosure. My Macbook Pro only has Thunderbult 2. So, I got an Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter.

Every time I plug the Thunderbult cable into my Macbook Pro, the computer crashes. I get the black screen w/ "Your computer restarted because of a problem. Press a key or wait a few seconds to continue in a few seconds" message.

Is there anything I can do to rectify this situation? Will this setup not work for my Macbook pro? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 20, 2020 5:12 PM

Similar questions

37 replies

Mar 11, 2021 5:30 AM in response to pLlave

I've submitted a feedback as well - the issues I'm facing render the eGPU setup completely useless. I'm facing crashes at startup, at wake from sleep, when connecting after boot, when exiting fullscreen apps, when doing absolutely random stuff, such as reading this support article.

My setup:

• Macbook Pro 2018 13" w/ TouchBar, quad core i5
  • MacOS Big Sur 11.1
  • eGPU XFX RX 580 4gb
  • eGPU case Mantiz Saturn Pro v2

I've tried some of the steps you recommended, namely connecting to a separate power source, but it unfortunately didn't have any significant impact. Thanks for posting though - it seems like large number of users are facing eGPU issues. Hopefully it's going to work for some.

I'm surprised Apple isn't paying more attention to this - it's so frustrating for me that I'm actually considering switching to a PC setup. That would be the last resort for me, since I love the Apple ecosystem, but now the eGPU with the case are nothing more than a $1000 paper weight.

Good luck to everyone facing this issue.

PS: Here's my ticket if you think you're in a similar situation: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252546337

May 21, 2020 9:04 AM in response to dannydbrito

Hello dannydbrito,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand from the information you provided that your mac crashes when using an eGPU with your Mac; I'd like to help.

The following support article provides some troubleshooting steps to try for this behavior-

Use an external graphics processor with your Mac – Apple Support

As explained in the article, an eGPU is supported on any Mac with a Thunderbolt 3 port, this is a requirement. Unfortunately adapters will not work for this application.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards.

Nov 12, 2020 8:11 AM in response to philffm

I began experiencing the same instability issue once I moved from a Macbook Pro 2017 edition with the T1 security chip to newer model (2018) using the T2 chip. What I discovered after opening a case with Apple Support is that if you've got FileVault enabled, the eGPU will not be supported during bootup. The current and only workaround is to disconnect the eGPU until the system has booted, or alternatively, disabling FileVault. There appears to be a conflict with the way the T2 security chip processes the boot process with FileVault when the eGPU is attached. Apple recommended that I fill out a feedback inquiry online (here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/) and they said that it will be reviewed.

My guess is that if other people on this forum do the same thing, it will bring further visibility to the issue. From what I learned, this issue is present in all Mac's (including the Mac Mini) since they introduced T2 in 2018 (which includes newer Macs as well).

I have also noted that there are stability issues with the eGPU if the Mac goes into powersaving mode. The only way to resolve that is to keep the Mac from sleeping. I should note that I have none of these issues while running Windows (Bootcamp) so it appears to be a software related interaction with the T2 and file-vault disk-encryption.

Please consider filling out the feedback form online so that Apple will receive more visibility to this issue!

Golan.

Mar 11, 2021 8:16 AM in response to hexsus

@hexsus

That is a tough situation to be in, I feel for you. That is an awesome eGPU enclosure! You may try and contact Mantiz and see if they have any advice. If you haven't already, you might also try removing the GPU and disconnecting anything plugged into IO ports to see if the box will power your laptop without issues. I've seen builds posted with very similar setup to yours, so it should be possible to get this working.

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2018-13-inch-macbook-pro-8th4cu-rx-580-32-gbps-tb3-mantiz-saturn-pro-v2-macos-11-1-windows-10-20h2-quiet-mods/

One option is to try is a clean install. This is a pain IMO, and Apple has made it somewhat more difficult with the last couple OSs. I've had success resolving issues in the past doing a clean install and I'm close to doing one if I encounter more severe issues.

Also, when working with Apple Support, make sure you're up-to-date with the latest version of Big Sur 11.2.3. It's doubtful this will help your issue, but I've experienced Apple Support dismissing my ticket if I wasn't running the latest update.

If possible, purchase and try a different eGPU Case/solution like something from the Apple Store that is on their compatibility list. Use an external graphics processor with your Mac - Apple Support

You could buy one of the cheap options Apple offers and then return it after testing. If you encounter issues with one of Apples eGPU options, create a Support Ticket and it should get more attention.

The intent would be to determine if your computer is encountering issues or if the issue stems from the eGPU.

This is of course a gamble and a lot of work. I fully understand your Mantiz box is compatible with Macs, but Apple Support may dismiss a case if there is an external/third party peripheral they do not support.

Good luck! Post again if you find a solution.

@pLlave

Interesting thought and suggestion about PowerMS, I was curious about this and did try various combos of ports and power sources. Unfortunately it did not help. An update was pushed the same day and that didn't help either.

Fortunately I'm only having issues when using the Menubar's disconnect option. If I close apps and just unplug the eGPU, I don't have issues, just get that silly notification to "Safely disconnect..."

Will post again if I have any updates. If anyone does some deep digging on the net and finds some obscure solution, I would love to hear about it.

Aug 9, 2020 11:36 PM in response to dannydbrito

Same issue here - 2020 MacBook Pro 13"

Over the years I had different MacOS devices where it worked more or less satisfying.

• ✅ MacBook Pro 2016 13" non-Touchbar - perfectly working
  • 🟠 MacBook Pro 2017 13" Touchbar - working after few attempts, no crashes
  • 🟠 ThinkPad T480s - working when plugged on boot, no crashes
  • ✅ MacBook Pro 2018 15" Touchbar
  • 😡 MacBook Pro 2020 13" Touchbar - Working only with reboot, unexptected crashes

Recently I upgraded to the 2020 model, as the 15" was too big for me after all and had the typical keyboard issue that got me upgrading devices for three times already. Actually the only reason I bought the eGPU in first place was the port unavailability and the complexity of connecting two screens with charging. I expected this to be over now but it just continues.

So I don't know what is going on here but I expected I could rely more on Apple Hardware.

I am using an HP Omen Accelerator with RX580.

Sep 7, 2020 8:33 PM in response to dannydbrito

I'm using:

Macbook Pro (16 inch, 2019)

• 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
  • 16 GB DDR4
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5300M

+

Razer Core X Chroma

• Radeon 5700XT

This setup is supposed to be officially supported by Apple, but the Macbook won't recognize the monitors plugged into the eGPU. It also completely freezes the Mac on removal (either through unplugging or through the disconnect option).

Very disappointed by the "official" support from apple - this is nonfunctional and the complete opposite of the seamless support that was promised.

I got this setup so I could easily hot swap monitors, peripherals, and ethernet between my Windows and MacOS machines. Imagine my surprise when my windows computer (XPS 15 9550) actually worked better than the Macbook. Really hoping a software update fixes this soon.

Mar 5, 2021 2:54 PM in response to bonafidel7

bonafidel7 wrote:

Several updates into Big Sur and this is still an issue. Catalina handled eGPUs fairly well after a couple updates. Somehow the issue seems to be worse with latest OS. Not sure how Apple took steps backwards...
I say it's AppleCoreRot :p

AppleCoreRot...LOL

Just thought I would update my situation.

Got my system balanced out now. And there are a number of things to note if you are struggling. Maybe some of these will help.

1. Keep the egpu off until after the macbook pro has totally finished booting. I let mine sit for at least 10 minutes before turning on the egpu.
  2. My 2019 15" has all usb-c ports. Only use the two on the right to plug the egup into. Additionally, power the MacBook from the right side not the left. All other peripherals on the left.
  3. I stopped powering the MacBook thru my usb-c dock. Found out from my IT pro that power starvation is part of this issue. So I plugged the laptop into it's own outlet and I plugged the egpu into it's own outlet.

Result of all this is that I don't have crashes anymore.

Next week it all may change but right now it's stable.

Mar 8, 2021 8:18 AM in response to pLlave

@pLlave

User level:

Level 1

Thank you for replying. I hope your feedback helps other users. Unfortunately it's not applicable to my situation.

1. I have FileVault on and I believe it's this setting that requires logging in before eGPU gets recognized, could be another setting, but I'm not able to view anything on an external monitor through eGPU until logged in. So I tend to boot/login prior to connecting eGPU anyway.
  2. I've never connected more than one power source. I am using latest Breakaway Box 650 from Sonnet with Radeon Pro WX8200 which fully powers my 16" MBP.
  3. I do use the Right Thunderbolt ports. I didn't know if this would make a difference, but I am using the right side by nature of my setup.
  4. My issue is occurring when disconnecting the eGPU. It's nearly a guarantee to cause a Kernel Panic if I use the menubar option to disconnect. I rarely have an issue if I just unplug the eGPU and don't use the menubar option to disconnect.

Thanks again for the feedback. I hope my comments can help Apple devs fix the issue.

Still can't help but throw out some snide remarks... ;)

I worry that the lack of eGPU support with new Apple Silicon means this sort of setup is a phase and Apple has moved on from trying to support discrete graphics and eGPU combo. It's a huge bummer when major updates feel like a downgrade.

Mar 8, 2021 10:35 AM in response to bonafidel7

1. I've never connected more than one power source. I am using latest Breakaway Box 650 from Sonnet with Radeon Pro WX8200 which fully powers my 16" MBP.

This is the one spot that I would ask you to test. Do not power the MBP thru the Sonnet. Plug the Sonnet and the MBP into their own outlets; completely separate outlets in the house if possible. This in particular changed everything for me. See if it does for anything for and post back. Would like to know if it has any validity beyond my circumstance.

If you are powering your MBP thru the Sonnet then when you disconnect the Sonnet the MBP has to change where or maybe how it's getting power. Because the newer MBP's don't have the mag-safe power adapter anymore I am starting to think that the power management system is suspect. I wonder if this is confirmed in the fact that the new models being talked about for this year are going back to mag-safe.

If it is indeed a power issue then eGPU's aren't the issue here at all and perhaps down the road, after they stabilize the platform, there will be some increase in eGPU capacity as well.

Mar 16, 2021 11:33 PM in response to bonafidel7

UPDATE (still haven't solved the issue):

I downgraded to MacOS Catalina 10.15.7. The situation is worse.

• All the issues stated above remain.
  • The crash when booting up with connected eGPU is now more frequent.

Next up:

1. I am now keeping the case plugged in without GPU (just powering the Mac as the only power source) to see if the case could be the issue.
  2. I'm waiting for a different GPU to get delivered to see if that's the issue.

PS: Thanks guys for all your tips, I'm reading through the resources you've provided, listing possible solutions. I'll keep updating this thread as I go through them.

Mar 17, 2021 2:54 PM in response to hexsus

UPDATE (I solved the issues to some degree)

While on MacOS Catalina 10.15.7. I reset MacBook NVRAM today. The system hasn't crashed since.*

*By crash I mean a complete freeze followed by Kernel panic system restart.

What happened instead on 2 occasions was that the system froze temporarily, but only till I turned off the eGPU via its power switch:

1. When I booted the system up w/ eGPU connected, the system Froze at about 75% of the progress bar - kept frozen for several minutes until I turned off the eGPU - then immediately resumed booting.
  2. When I quit a full screen game, the system froze & also kept frozen till I turned the eGPU off - after that immediately unfroze and I was able to resume what I was doing.

How to reset your NVRAM / PRAM

1. shut down system
  2. start it up
  3. press and hold CMD + Option + P + R right away
  4. Release when the apple logo shows up for the 2nd time

(Details in this tutorial: https://purplecomputing.com/tech-how-to/how-to-reset-nvram-or-pram/)

This is still far from ideal, but it is a significant improvement compared to my initial situation.

Next up:

• I will try updating back to the latest Big Sur
  • I will try also restarting SMC

Jun 22, 2020 7:48 AM in response to dannydbrito

Hi Danny - I have exactly the same problem using the same setup but a different card: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 590 8GB GDDR5. Not able to find a solution online. Will probably try to get a 580 or Vega.

Were you able to find a solution?

Arturo

Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2015) running MacOS Catalina V. 10.15.5. Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3. Razer Core X enclosure. (Apple) Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter, (Apple) Thunderbolt 2 Cable (2 meters). SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 590 8GB GDDR5. iGPU: Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB.

Jul 13, 2020 5:33 AM in response to dannydbrito

I have the exact same issue as well and have had no helpful response from apple. Radion 5700xt in a node pro eGPU enclosure kernel panics 90% of the time on boot with 10.15.5. With 10.15.3, it only crashed about 50% of the time.

It seems to always work with a single monitor, but in this case I'm running 3.

I'm guessing Apple does not QC things against 2 or 3 monitor setups -- otherwise this should be a pretty obvious one.

eGPU crashes my macbook pro when plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.