Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2018 Big Sur eGPU AMD Radeon RX 580 problem, no display output

Hi, just upgraded to Big Sur but my eGPU is not working properly anymore. It connects and appears in activity monitor, programs are launched but gives no display, just a blank screen. Rest of the program is still working, but no output.

I'm running Big Sur on a MacBook Pro 2018 with an external Thunderbolt Display, the AMD Radeon RX 580 is mounted in a Razer Core X which connects to my MacBook Pro via USB-C.

Everything worked fine in Catalina. Does someone know a fix for this problem?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 10:53 AM

3 replies

Jun 23, 2021 12:07 AM in response to a brody

Hi A Brody, thanks for the reply. I bought the Razer Core X and the Radeon RX 580 combo upon the recommendations of Apple for eGPU combinations. Both aren't supporting Mac OS in firmware or drivers so there isn't any firmware to update. Just hoped there was a tweak in Big sur that could fix the problem or maybe Apple fixes this in the next update for Big Sur. If I'm wrong about the firmware I'm glad to hear, but I couldn't find any.

MacBook Pro 2018 Big Sur eGPU AMD Radeon RX 580 problem, no display output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.