Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files app isn’t working

Ever since I updated my iPhone 7+ to the latest version of iOS (13.4.1), in the files app every time I try to open or download a file from iCloud the app completely freezes and the document won’t open. This is quite frustrating as I have been using it to view saved PDFs that I use frequently. Does the app just need an update? Or if my phone is outdated for this app, is there another one I could use to download my files from iCloud?

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on May 20, 2020 9:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2020 1:51 PM

The only time that preinstalled apps are updated is when the iOS is updated. Preinstalled apps can’t be updated like standalone 3rd party apps.

iOS 13.5 was released yesterday. You could try updating the phone and see if that helps.

8 replies

May 21, 2020 10:58 AM in response to CParvi

Hello CParvi,

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Community! I see you are having issues opening you pdf saved files in your Files application on your iPhone 7 Plus, It is important to be able to easily access your files seamlessly as intended.

To be able to open your files from the Files application specifically the ones saved on iCloud Drive you need a good internet connection, if you are trying to access them using your cellular data connection it will be affected with the speed and strength of your cellular connection, using Wi-Fi with iCloud files is faster, or if you don't want to use the internet to retrieve your files daily you can always store your pdfs on your local iPhone memory if your storage is efficient for that, How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

For the Files application freezing or not responding you can check this article, If an app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open.

If force quit or restart the device frequently doesn't help the freezing of the app then following the steps for hard restarting your device will be your next step, following this part " Press and hold both the Top (or Side) button and the Volume Down buttons until you see the Apple logo." in the article If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen.

The freezing of the application while trying to retrieve data from iCloud might be related with how much storage you have left on iCloud, Manage your iCloud storage

This article shows more information about using the Files Application, Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

To be able to access the files you stored in the iCloud Drive from other devices this article has guidelines steps, Access iCloud Drive files from your iPhone and other devices

You can also delete the application and re-download it again from the App Store if the freezing problem was not resolved, How to delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Take Care!

May 21, 2020 1:30 PM in response to chris_g1

Thanks for the response. I tried everything you suggested, and unfortunately the app is still freezing even when not opening a file. I do have a reliable internet connection, and I checked and have enough local storage on my iPhone as well as in iCloud. Deleting the app and restarting my phone seems to have no effect, so until the app is fixed I suppose I’ll just have to rely on other 3rd party apps.

Files app isn’t working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.