Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enabling Hyphenation

Pages ’09 version 4.1 (923), macOS Sierra version 10.12.6

I desire to use hyphenation and yet I am unable to achieve this function. The text is set at “Justify text (align to the left and the right).”

Document Hyphenation - I selected “Inspector” > “Document Inspector” the “Hyphenate” option is selected with a √ mark.

Paragraph Hyphenation - I selected it, and then clicked on “Inspector” > “Text” > “More”. The “Remove hyphenation for paragraph” option is unchecked.

Word Hyphenation - I selected the word while holding down the Control key, right mouse click. The display of “Never allow hyphenation” is shown. I clicked on that, got a brief time out indication. Afterwards, I repeated the selection of the word and got the “Allow Hyphenation” display.

None of the above procedures were successful at achieving hyphenation.

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 21, 2020 12:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2020 6:53 AM

Pages v7 should do hyphenation for you. There is a caveat to keep in mind…

You can open a Pages '09 document in Pages v7 for viewing, but as soon as you attempt to change anything, a sheet will descend from the toolbar asking for your permission to convert the document. If you allow that, the document is no longer a Pages '09 document. Exporting to Pages 09 format does not undo what the current version changed, or removed. Have backups of your Pages '09 documents.

I say removed, because Pages '09 in many ways remains a feature superset to that of Pages v7, and when a Pages '09 document is converted to the newer internal document format, unsupported Pages '09 features are either dropped or mangled, potentially with dire consequences for your content and layout.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2020 6:53 AM in response to MichaelPower212

Pages v7 should do hyphenation for you. There is a caveat to keep in mind…

You can open a Pages '09 document in Pages v7 for viewing, but as soon as you attempt to change anything, a sheet will descend from the toolbar asking for your permission to convert the document. If you allow that, the document is no longer a Pages '09 document. Exporting to Pages 09 format does not undo what the current version changed, or removed. Have backups of your Pages '09 documents.

I say removed, because Pages '09 in many ways remains a feature superset to that of Pages v7, and when a Pages '09 document is converted to the newer internal document format, unsupported Pages '09 features are either dropped or mangled, potentially with dire consequences for your content and layout.

May 21, 2020 6:10 AM in response to VikingOSX

There is Pages 7.1 in my applications. Would that make a difference?

However, I did not purposely download that Pages 7.1. I was working on a massive document, five years in the making, using Pages '09 of which I was very pleased in the ease of its use. Suddenly, that document was hijacked by Pages 7.1 resulting in a mess of the documents appearance. It took a while to put things back in order using the Pages '09.

The current document I'm working on, that engendered my question about hyphenation, has just been started and I would not object to using it in Pages 7.1. My concern is will the opening of Pages 7.1 take over any other documents done with Pages '09?

Enabling Hyphenation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.