Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing Incompatibility

I am experiencing a strange issue with Home Sharing. I have two computers, an older system running El Capitan (10.11.6) and a newer system running Mojave (10.14.6). I don't want to update either of these systems since that will break functionality I need.

Until recently, I was able to run Home Sharing on both computers with no issues. Now, whenever I have home sharing turned on for both systems, I get an error on the Mojave system. It doesn't happen right away, but within a minute or so:

The selected files could not be copied from “<El Capitan Computer>” because this machine is not a member of the Home Share for the Apple ID “<Apple ID>”.

Home Sharing will keep working until the error is acknowledged (click "OK"), after which it's turned off. I've also seen the following error:

The selected files could not be copied from “” because an error occurred "(5598)."

I searched for similar problems and the only similar problem was here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251192232. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Any solutions?

As a workaround, I can turn off Home Sharing for the El Capitan computer, but that's suboptimal. I did notice that this started around the same time as this issue: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251378763 which has been fixed for the App Store.

I do know that El Capitan is no longer supported, but I'm hoping there's a fix out there. Thanks.

Posted on May 22, 2020 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 2:05 PM

Well, I'm not sure what I did, but I am no longer getting the error. Things that I did:

(in iTunes, iTunes Preferences, iTunes > Account > View My Account)

1. Signed out of iTunes & Home sharing on all my macs
  2. Turned off "Share my library on my local network" (I didn't need this feature any more)
  3. Turned off automatic downloads on all macs, devices
  4. Turned on password settings to "always require"
  5. Deauthorized all 5 computers
  6. Removed all devices from "Manage Devices" (macs plus iPhone, iPad)
  7. Reauthorized 4 computers, enabled home sharing on 3, signed in to iTunes on my primary mac, re-enabled iCloud Music Library
  8. Purchased music from iTunes
  9. Changed password settings to "never require"

I don't know which of these, or which combination did the trick, or if the problem just fixed itself™. My suspicion is that changing the password settings to "always require" and then to "never require" was what fixed it - previously I had finished steps 1-7 and was still getting the error. Notably, I only got the error when signed in to my primary user account on my primary mac. Home sharing worked fine on my other 2 macs (one Mojave, one El Capitan) and also from a secondary user account on my primary Mojave system.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2020 2:05 PM in response to John Benninghoff

Well, I'm not sure what I did, but I am no longer getting the error. Things that I did:

(in iTunes, iTunes Preferences, iTunes > Account > View My Account)

1. Signed out of iTunes & Home sharing on all my macs
  2. Turned off "Share my library on my local network" (I didn't need this feature any more)
  3. Turned off automatic downloads on all macs, devices
  4. Turned on password settings to "always require"
  5. Deauthorized all 5 computers
  6. Removed all devices from "Manage Devices" (macs plus iPhone, iPad)
  7. Reauthorized 4 computers, enabled home sharing on 3, signed in to iTunes on my primary mac, re-enabled iCloud Music Library
  8. Purchased music from iTunes
  9. Changed password settings to "never require"

I don't know which of these, or which combination did the trick, or if the problem just fixed itself™. My suspicion is that changing the password settings to "always require" and then to "never require" was what fixed it - previously I had finished steps 1-7 and was still getting the error. Notably, I only got the error when signed in to my primary user account on my primary mac. Home sharing worked fine on my other 2 macs (one Mojave, one El Capitan) and also from a secondary user account on my primary Mojave system.

May 23, 2020 11:15 AM in response to John Benninghoff

Greetings, John.

I see that you're using one Mac on OS X El Capitan and another on macOS Mojave. You're having a problem with Home Sharing between the two. The problem is, you keep getting one of two errors involving the older operating system. It's not recognizing that you're using the same Apple ID that's being used on the newer system, and sometimes you receive an error 5598. I'd like you to contact Apple Support for help.

Apple - Support - Product Selection — After selecting this link, choose Music, Apps & Services > iTunes Player > Other iTunes Topics > Using and troubleshooting Home Sharing. Then select how you'd like to start the conversation.

Take care.

May 24, 2020 12:53 PM in response to John Benninghoff

I had a similar issue between 2 mojave macbook pros. I found the answer that worked for me was to turn on "AFP Sharing" by going to "System Preference" => "Sharing" => Turn on File Sharing => go to options in the File Sharing tab => enable "Share Files and folders using AFP" ...

try to re-login and then it worked. My problematic iTunes at first crashed, but when I booted it back up, it worked fine.

Home Sharing Incompatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.