Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

final cut pro x 10.4.7 on nvidia GT 750m macbook?

Hello people. I have a macbook late 2013 with a Nvidia Geforce GT 750M 2gb. I'm using High Sierra since new OS versions do not support nvidia drivers. If I update to Catalina and use default driver, Can I expect slower performance of final cut pro X?

Many thanks!

Pablo

Posted on May 22, 2020 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2020 2:18 AM

As Al said, make sure you are fully backed up.

That said, I have used my mac with the exact same GPU with Catalina (and Mojave before it) with no problem at all, including in Final Cut Pro.

There is a common misconception about the NVIDIA GPU "not being supported".

The correct interpretation is that there no CUDA drivers in recent versions of macOS.

This will affect applications that rely on CUDA - I expect Premiere and Davinci Resolve will probably not perform very well.

Final Cut Pro does not, and has never used CUDA. It relies on Metal. It works just as well in Catalina as it did before (if not better).

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2020 2:18 AM in response to Chantus

As Al said, make sure you are fully backed up.

That said, I have used my mac with the exact same GPU with Catalina (and Mojave before it) with no problem at all, including in Final Cut Pro.

There is a common misconception about the NVIDIA GPU "not being supported".

The correct interpretation is that there no CUDA drivers in recent versions of macOS.

This will affect applications that rely on CUDA - I expect Premiere and Davinci Resolve will probably not perform very well.

Final Cut Pro does not, and has never used CUDA. It relies on Metal. It works just as well in Catalina as it did before (if not better).

May 27, 2020 7:52 AM in response to Chantus

I have installed fcpx 10.4.8 and Catalina 10.15.4

On fcpx I'm having choppy playback issues even with optimized media, rendered files. After export, the video plays smoothly on preview or quicktime app, so I guess the problem is related to fcpx relying on metal to playback, and it seems that my graphic card does not support that:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202239

So I'll need to come back to high sierra and previous version of fcpx, unless you have a better idea? Could I use an external graphic card having old thunderbolt (20gb/s) port? I see that catalina and fcpx could rely on external graphic cards but under thunderbolt-C ports...

Many thanks!

May 27, 2020 7:58 AM in response to Chantus

Your graphics card supports Metal. I have used it for a long time (until last month, actually, when I got my current mac).

Where is your media stored? It looks more like an issue with the media drive and the kind of media you are trying to playback than anything graphics related.

What kind of media? Is this 4K? Multicam?

Regarding eGPU: I don't think that is supported over Thunderbolt 2, and even if it does, you should probably save the expense towards a new 16" MBP sometime in the future.

May 27, 2020 8:12 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom, thanks for your help; here are my specs:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

2,3 GHz Intel Core i7 de cuatro núcleos

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Clips with too much texture as trees or grass do not play smoothly inside fcpx, even after being converted to optimized media and fcpx under "better performance" mode. In high sierra and fcpx 10.4.1, after rendering, thay playback fine.

I have my library on an external thunderbolt device that black magic speed test gives 450 mb/s write/read speed.

May 27, 2020 8:25 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis, thanks for clarifying about my graphic card and metal.

Media is 4k, no multicam, already converted to Pro Res with transcode media option. Both the media and the library are stored on a thunderbolt 2 raid device that is working at 450mb/s write and read speeds.

The same clips on the same drive worked fine on High Sierra and fcpx 10.4.1

They even play smoothly on Catalina outside fcpx.

I know that Apple and NVIDIA cut their relationship and there weren't any updates on drivers since High Sierra.

And yes, my goal is to get a 16" mbp but this year is getting difficult with COVID issues.

May 28, 2020 11:21 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I think I've found the issue. I'm having choppy playback only when waveform tab is open, specially under RGB overlay

If I close the waveform inspector the clips play smoothly. If I change to other color tool like vectorscope or histogram they also play fine. It's like the rgb overlay waveform is pushing too much the graphic card to show that info in real time...

final cut pro x 10.4.7 on nvidia GT 750m macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.