Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS doesn't recog. "mailto" addresses

iMac OS Mojave: On websites under "Contact," any Web browser I use gives me the message, "MacOS doesn't recognize Internet addresses starting with "mailto:"

[Email Edited by Moderator]

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 23, 2020 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2020 11:06 AM

Please try setting Mail as your default email reader. Below link will provide help to you to perform the Change your default email app.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201607

Similar questions

7 replies

May 30, 2020 11:09 AM in response to bobhwc

bobhwc Said:

"MacOS doesn't recog. "mailto" addresses: iMac OS Mojave: On websites under "Contact," any Web browser I use gives me the message, "MacOS doesn't recognize Internet addresses starting with "mailto:"

-------

A Few Thoughts:

• Boot into Safe Mode:

Hold Down: [shift key] upon boot. In Safe Mode, items run by default with all preferences set aside.

• Try a New Browser:

Try a new browser (i.e Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome). If that works, then it is an issue with your browser.

• Reinstall macOS Mojave:

Safari is built into the macOS, so you'd have to reinstall the macOS to fix it, in that case.

• Elsewise - it is the author of the site at fault, and nothing on your end.

So...

Report this as a Bug to Apple:

1. Go Here: Feedback - Safari - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Proceed from there as necessary

May 23, 2020 3:24 PM in response to Sharhari

Thank you very much for responding. The problem is I don't want Apple Mail to be my default email client, because I don't like it. I use GMail all the time. If I change it back to Apple Mail, then when I reply to a contact on a website, the conversation will appear in Apple Mail, and if we have multiple back-and-forth conversations, I'll have to use Apple Mail.

I don't understand why I can't use any email client like Google Mail, etc. and for my computer to be able to read and reply to email addresses listed under "Contact" on websites. It used to be able to do that, so I don't know why it now says it can't.

MacOS doesn't recog. "mailto" addresses

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.