Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Cpu System Usage

Hello! Can anyone help me how to troubleshoot this problem? I have a very high cpu usage.I have a macbook pro 2017

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 27, 2020 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2020 1:48 PM

What is the exact model of your laptop? You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About this Mac".

Try an SMC reset.

If you have a MBPro with Touchbar, then try plugging the charger into the right side USB-C ports instead of the left side. I know this sounds crazy, but I've seen a report that this is a bug.

Run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

It also doesn't hurt to run the Apple Diagnostics.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2020 1:48 PM in response to Honey_alison

What is the exact model of your laptop? You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About this Mac".

Try an SMC reset.

If you have a MBPro with Touchbar, then try plugging the charger into the right side USB-C ports instead of the left side. I know this sounds crazy, but I've seen a report that this is a bug.

Run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

It also doesn't hurt to run the Apple Diagnostics.

May 28, 2020 8:49 AM in response to Honey_alison

Hello Honey_alison,

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Community! I see you are having issue with tasks taking most of your CPU usage percentage.

Check out these articles that have information related to your issue and can help you trouble shoot the issue further.

How to use Activity Monitor on your Mac.

See how apps affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity.

If kernel_task is using a large percentage of your Mac CPU.

Take Care!

May 30, 2020 9:12 AM in response to Honey_alison

I don't see anything in the report. Did connecting the charger to the right side ports make any difference?

If not, then run Disk Utility First Aid. Make sure to examine the details of the First Aid report to see if any errors are listed. If there are any errors even if Disk Utility says everything is Ok, then I would make sure you have a backup of the system, then perform a clean install of macOS by first erasing the physical drive using these instructions:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496

It is important to test the laptop before restoring or migrating from the backup or before installing any third party apps so you don't contaminate the clean install. If you still have a problem, then it means you have a hardware issue or have found some odd macOS bug with the latest update. Erasing the physical drive is critical so that is creates a new APFS file system free of any errors. I just had one of our organization's laptops have an issue where the file system errors caused severe issues even though Disk Utility First Aid said everything was "OK", but the details of the scan showed multiple errors.

If a clean install works, then you have to decide how to restore your data and account(s). You can try the whole system restore (erasing the drive again and restore from backup) or migration (migrate user account, possibly settings & apps), but there is always a chance it could include a problem which will be transferred back. If you try the full system restore or full migration, then be prepared to do this a couple of times if you transfer the problem back so you may need to migrate just you user account(s) and data only.

High Cpu System Usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.