Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit Motion Automation has lights blinking when they shouldn’t

First a note about categories: Why can’t I choose HomeKit? None of the very many categories I can choose from is right for this problem. If you know how to direct me to the correct forum, I’d value that advice.

And now the issue: I have many HomeKit devices. Among them are Lutron Caseta dimmers for the lights and Eve motion detectors. Most of my automations are running just fine, but in my Kitchen, I’m having issues. The room has a set of 6 recessed lights controlled by a single switch which I installed this week and named “Kitchen Lights.” The motion detector is also new, and I named it “Kitchen Motion.”

At first, I set up a single rule to turn on the light when motion was detected with an automatic shut off 15 minutes later. I programmed the motion detector to continually indicate motion for 60 seconds whenever triggered. Then I noticed that as the 15 minute point came (I was continually in the kitchen), the lights would turn off and back on and off and on. I attributed this to the automation running multiple times simultaneously, so I changed the programming.

Now I have the motion detectors set to indicate motion for 10 minutes after being triggered, and I have two rules. The first is to turn on the lights upon motion being detected (with Turn Off set to Never). The second is to turn off the lights when motion is not detected. I still occasionally see the blinking effect. It only happens within the 10 minute window, but my presence in the kitchen doesn’t matter. I’m stumped.

Posted on May 27, 2020 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2020 3:34 PM

Have you considered maybe removing the accessories and re-adding them?

Set up and use the Home app - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

May 28, 2020 10:53 AM in response to zinacef

I haven't. But that's because I just installed them, and the problem has existed from the start. I have considered the possibility that it has nothing to do with HomeKit. I wondered if one of my lights had a short because in the testing process I opened my Home app to watch along to see if it reported the sensor having brief periods of not reporting as triggered, but that didn't happen. I wonder if there's a log somewhere to see what activity the hub has processed.

HomeKit Motion Automation has lights blinking when they shouldn’t

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.