Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit Automation/Scene Conflict

I have a Home Kit automation for an Insteon Wall Switch that also turns on/off Lamp Dimmer. That works ok. Problem is I have a scene that turns off the Wall Switch and sets the Lamp Dimmer to 20%. But this scene always turns off the Lamp Dimmer. I believe that's due to the automation turning off the Wall Switch which, in turn, turns off the Lamp Dimmer. Catch 22. What do I do?

P.S. There doesn't seem to be a logical place to post about HomeKit. I had to pick device and topic at more or less random.

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 10:24 AM

Delete the Automations and redo them

Or try removing them from Home and adding them back in, one at a time.

If you’re using a HomePod as your Hub, try restarting:

Open the Home App - go to the Room it’s in 

Long press on the HomePod icon to bring up settings, scroll down to the gear icon, tap that, scroll to the bottom to Reset HomePod - then select Restart HomePod 

Update the software on the iOS device you set up HomePod with

If using another device as a Hub, restart that.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2021 10:24 AM in response to Tim I Sawyer

Delete the Automations and redo them

Or try removing them from Home and adding them back in, one at a time.

If you’re using a HomePod as your Hub, try restarting:

Open the Home App - go to the Room it’s in 

Long press on the HomePod icon to bring up settings, scroll down to the gear icon, tap that, scroll to the bottom to Reset HomePod - then select Restart HomePod 

Update the software on the iOS device you set up HomePod with

If using another device as a Hub, restart that.

Jan 11, 2021 6:50 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for that post. Allow me to better explain the setup. There are two independently powered lights in this room. The Lamp Dimmer is a "wall wart" style device which is not on the Wall Switch circuit. The Automation turns on or off the Lamp Dimmer when the Wall Switch turns on or off via HomeKit software.

HomeKit is the issue. The HomeKit Scene dims the Lamp Dimmer and turns off the Wall Switch. Unfortunately HomeKit sees the Wall Switch turn off and activates the Automation turning off the Lamp Dimmer. This is evident as I see the lamp dim and then turn off.

Ultimately the room should be in the state of the last action. Triggering the Scene should always set the Wall Switch off and the Lamp Dimmer dimmed. Pressing the Wall Switch should cause the Lamp Dimmer to follow (on, off or dim).

HomeKit Automation/Scene Conflict

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.